Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File and Transmission

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What exactly is an EDI transmission?

Can one EDI transmission consists of multiple files, if true, then why we have begin of transmission and end of transmission as identifiers in EDI formats.

Regards

Krish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Initial section of my blog will help you in understanding some terminology.

/people/prateek.srivastava3/blog/2009/08/25/seeburger--part-6-150-classify-split-secret

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Thanks for the replies,

The reason for asking this question is that seeburger has failed an EDI message because it found

two ORDHDR in a single file.

Is it normally allowed as the tradacom standard used for Orders doesnt specify anything like this.

I do accept the fact that in a single file you can send ORDHDR, ORDCHG.

But can it be possible to sent multiple ORDHDR in a single file.

Regards

Krish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prateek,

As per your blog, you are mentioning that seeburger will handle multiple transactions by defining the mapping name.

I had received a file from customer with the following

STX

MHD: ORDHDR

-

-

---

MTR

MHD:ORDHDR

---

--

--

MTR

END

Seeburger has rejected this file as it was not able to identify what to do due to multiple ORDHDR message.

Can you throw some light on this?

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this a format that you created yourself or are you using some standard mapping? If its a custom mapping, then check for the occurrence of the fields when you created the mapping in BIC.

Have you also configured Split and Classify module?

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prateek,

I have not created the format. These were actual files received from the customer.

All these days they were sending 5 to 10 orders in a single ORDHDR. Yesterday one EDI file was failed when we checked two ORDHDR in a single file.

Again, orders and ordhdr are different.

Old file had

STX

ORDHDR

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDTLR

END

New file had

STX

ORDHDR

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDTLR

again

ORDHDR

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDERS

ORDTLR

END

Everthing came in a single transmission with single file. I had checked and the classifier and split module are all set up.

Am using the standard Seeburger mapping for orders. My edi format is tradacoms standard 5

Edited by: Krish on Sep 16, 2009 4:12 PM

Edited by: Krish on Sep 16, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi krish ,

Please refer the following article on EDI and taughts of EDI on PI explained clearly.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/135b0b94-0701-0010-f6a9-86a14057544a&override...

Thanks,

Ram.

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi krish,

1. EDI always deal with Transaction sets ( 850-PO,855-PO acknowledgment) which are used as standard formats to exchange business data between or among the trading partners.(similar to IDOCs standard format in SAP environment).

2. In a typical EDI environment for suppose Buyer A is in business with Seller B. So A would send not only send POs always could be the PO change of the already sent purchase order. so he can group all the EDI transactions. and send them at a go via VAN(Value Added Networks) ,third party provided mail box kind of services.Its similar to a Postal services.Post man bundles all the letters intended for single address and deliver them at a time. but never knocks the same door for every single letter.Similar concept apllied here.

3. All the business data will be enveloped between the segments (ST and SE) .and again the similar Transaction sets will be grouped under same functional group segments (GS ,GE) and the entire segments will be finally enveloped between ISA and IEA. this is the final bunch of all the EDI documents .This will be sent to the seller B.

4.Have a look at the following EDI-ANSI document

ISA * u2026 000000001 (Interchange Control # 000000001)

GS * PO *u2026 00001 u2026 (Functional Group (FG) Control # 00001)

ST * 850 * 01 (Transaction Set (TS) Control# 01)

u2026

SE * u2026 01 (TS Trailer # 01)

ST * 850 * 02 (TS Control # 02)

u2026

SE * u2026 02 (TS Trailer # 02)

GE * 2 * 00001 (FG Trailer # 00001, contains 2 TS)

GS * IN * u202600002 u2026 (FG Control #00002)

ST * 810 * 01 (TS Control # 01)

u2026

SE * u2026 01 (TS Trailer # 01)

GE * 1 * 00002 (FG Trailer # 00002, contains 1 TS)

IEA * 2 * 000000001 (Interchange Trailer # 000000001, contains 2 FG)

Thanks,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ram,

As per your transaction set, i do understand that ORDHDR is a transaction and ORDer change is another transaction.

But you cant send two transactions with the same name.

ORDHDR and ORDHDR in a single file.

We were concered as the customer told that sometimes their system bundles their edi requests into one file.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you would have read my blog then you may understand that it is very usual practice to se send multiple types of transactions in one EDI Document. Therefore if you use third party adapters like Seeburger, then there is Classify and Split module functionality provided again as described in my blog.

Regards,

Prateek