Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL on ECC6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm now planning to install SSL into ECC6.0 which is running based on AS-ABAP Engine only.

If you know any tips or prerequisite for this action plan, please tell me.

I faced the document, saying 'You have to make Java Engine available to support HTTPS/SSL', and wondered if I needed AS-Java to use SSL in ECC6.0.

thanks in advance,

Hozy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

I assume that you are using web dynpro ABAP and creating services in SE37?

If you single-test those services from SE80 you will see that they are executed via the Java stack.

However I don't think this is mandatory, and you can also call the service from your browser.

Worth looking into would be transaction SOAMANAGER - whether that requires a Java Engine and by implication a dual stack development system. I would hope not.

Cheers,

Julius

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

I assume that you are using web dynpro ABAP and creating services in SE37?

If you single-test those services from SE80 you will see that they are executed via the Java stack.

However I don't think this is mandatory, and you can also call the service from your browser.

Worth looking into would be transaction SOAMANAGER - whether that requires a Java Engine and by implication a dual stack development system. I would hope not.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply,

What I'm trying is to establish ITS in ECC and to encrypt all communication between ECC-ITS and client-PCs.

And I don't intend to use WebDynpro.

I hope I don't need Java engine, for I haven't installed AS-JAVA at the beginning, and we've already developed a lot in ECC...

Please reply if you have any tips on here.

thanks and regards,

Hozy

0 Kudos

The ITS existed externally and now internally in the ABAP system before the Java Stack existed. This for me is one of the best tips...

Probably you are not reading the correct document about SSL in ITS scenarios.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi,

You don't need a java stack to set up SSL with ECC 6.0 (Hopefully !).

You just have to follow the configuration described in help.sap.com (and blogs on SDN) :

Install and setup the SAPCRYPTOLIB.

Create an SSL server certificate with STRUST.

Get the certificate signed with a CA if necessary.

Configure the ICM to choose the HTTPS port.

Regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos

Olivier is correct. The J2EE stack is not required to enable SSL for the ABAP stack for your scenario. We do this ourselves, both with our SRM system (which uses the internal ITS), and also with some of our Portal scenarios, where our Portal makes SSL-encrypted calls back to ITS/ICM services on the (separately-hosted) ABAP stack (and not just for WebDynpro).

At a high level, what Olivier outlined is correct. It's not hard to do, but the documentation can make it seem harder than it really is. Probably you can figure out the procedure from his hints, but if you need more details, I'll be happy to outline them.

--Matt

0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, is this actually a CRM system on ABAP 7.0 WAS?