cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD external referencing on possible in DMS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an AutoCAD drawing with external references to other autocad drawings. How do I save this in DMS? I have tried loading all required drawings, but this (obviously) did not work.

Appreciate any ideas on this. Let me know if I need to better explain my issue.

Thanks,

Lashan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to enable additional files for that application type. Once you do this, you can right click and add the xref's to the file so they are downloaded or checked out at the same time when you open or change the file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

I did the following steps and could not get this to work. As I do not have autocad, I am testing with 2 word documents (assume that this should prove the concept).

1. enabled additional files for workstation application WRD

2. Created a DIR (from easydms) and attached 2 word docs to the same DIR

3. deleted local files from easydms preferences

4. opened up 1 word doc from easydms. the unlocked indicator can be seen only for one of the files.

5. checked in the working directory - only the checked out word doc is available in the part C:\.....\Temp\SapEasyDms\RD1_421\USERNAME\10000000072_FOL_000_00\DEA92F69633324F1833300145E7A3124\LinkTest1.doc

Am I missing something here? My understanding was that both files should be downloaded to my working dir (or checked out) when I open 1 file for edit?

Appreciate any further advise on this.

Thanks,

Lashan

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is your first problem. From what I understand you cannot add the additional files in EasyDMS.

In the SAP Gui, if you right click on an original their should be an option for additional files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

We may have engineering users use SAPGUI instead of EasyDMS. I tried the following, but this still did not work. Have I missed anything?

1. Enabled additional files for the workstation app ACD which handles autocad files.

2. Created a document using cv01n and added an original of file type .dwg

3. Right clicked on the original and did not get an additional files option.

Thanks,

Lashan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Right click - select the Details option, then click the additional files button shown in this picture

http://img.skitch.com/20090930-j2n88s9hkjqfnqqgrduyurg899.jpg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Athol. This appears to be working correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would any of you know how to get this working in cFolders? I will post a seperate thread in the cFolders forum, but wanted to check here first.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will test these out and update the thread.

dirk_hille
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best way to work with AutoCAD files in SAP DMS is to use the SAP PLM Integration for AutoCAD.

This software enables you to work directly from AutoCAD with SAP DMS.

Automatically DIR-BOM-structures will be created when you use AutoCAD with external references.

See link for further details:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/CADIntegrationin+PLM

If you want do to it manually, you have to create document structures (CV11) with the AutoCAD references as positions. But this is very bothersome and you don't have all the advantages of using a CAD Direct Integration.