cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Model Re import issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a couple of RFCs in my Model and they reside in a different Development Component than my regular UI Development Components.

The structure for the BAPIs has changed once and I reimported the model. So all my connections between the Model and Custom Controller were broken and it took me awfully long time to re connect. Changes were renaming the existing structure( I think that would definitely cause the breakage between Model & Controller).

I have a situation now in R/3 again there are couple of new fields to be added to the existing structure. Some in the Input Structure and some in the Output structure.

Is this permissible with out the breakage ? I thought so.. Any catches ?

No name changes for the existing structures(R/3 TABLE) though.

What is the exact procedure for Re import? Do We need to restart the J2EE engine? Could some body explain with steps please... Which step should follow which.

For instance,

Reimporting --> Building the Model DC --> Deploying the Model DC --> Deploying the using DC etc.,

Also, I thought adaptive RFC should handle new structure changes ... Also, let me know the Dos and Don't to avoid the link breakage between Model & Controller or any instability

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

If some more fields need to be added to the existing structures, add the fields at the end and not in between the structure.

Also if there is no change in the existing field names and data types of the existing fields, then just re-import the model and restart the J2EE engine, just before you need to deploy the new application....

This wont break the already existing mappings and references.

Hope it helps...

Lokesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lokesh,

Thanks for the reply. So I need to append the new fields in the same structure. Is there any document that talks about the Dos and Don'ts about these reimports?

I mean what is allowed and what is not in order to not break any mappings? It's OK if I have to restart the J2EE server.

Since I have Model in a separate DC than my regular using DCs.

If I do 1) Add the new field at the end of the Bapi structure

2) Reimport the Model

3) Restart the J2EE engine

4) Build the Model DC

5) Deploy Model DC

6) Build my Model using DCs[ I mean in which ever DCs I am using my Model DC].

Now I should n't see any link breakages ?

Please correct me if I am saying any wrong steps above....

Thank You

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Here's a definition of the terms adaptive (i.e. WD application can access the change) and compatible (i.e. WD application will not break with this change) changes to an RFC function module which is used in ARFC

There are two categories regarding the possibility to use different/changed RFC functions with one ARFC model

Adaptiveness: Dynamic adaption of your WD application to structural changes of the RFC, i.e. react on such changes in the WD app

Compatibility: Compatible changes of the RFC meaning changes not breaking existing WD apps with ARFC models using the RFC

The following changes are currently allowed regarding these categories:

1) Adaptive: Change or add scalar fields (i.e. not having structure or table type) in DDic structures. Exception to this: Include-Structures (which don't exist as structure as the fields of the include are incorporated in the aggregating structure).

2) Adaptive: Change existing DDic data elements, e.g. by change label text, length, enumeration of allowed values. It is not allowed to change the built-in-type (e.g. from numc to numeric).

3) Adaptive: Change data type of structure fields as long as the built-in-type remains the same.

4) Compatible: Add optional fields (not structures) in the import or export parameter list of the RFC

This list is not guaranteed to be complete. Behaviour is not guaranteed if working with different R/3-backend-versions.

Regards,

Satyajit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Vivek thats the right way of doing it... try it out it will work...

I have been doing that in all my developements.

Lokesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vivek,

Adaptive RFC handles, lable changes, field length changes, but not new fields.

You can always re-import the model from back-end. Then you can create the new model context , and create new mappings between the controller contexts.

Also Re-starting the J2EE server is good option. These are the two options you have.

/Raj.