Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create user with DEFAULTCODE UNICODE

thomasschulz2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

we work at a project, which has to store data in unicode format. Therefore we tried to create a new user with DEFAULTCODE UNICODE, but the statements failed. Tests with DEFAULTCODE ASCII are working.

Using sqlcli or DBVisualizer (JDBC) we get this error:

* -3008: POS(34) Invalid keyword or missing delimiter SQLSTATE: 42000

Do I forget something at installation or use the wrong tools? I found no database parameter for switching unicode support on/off. And correspondig to the actual documentation for 7.6 CREATE/ALTER USER should work this way. BTW: Same effects appear on defining table fields with UNICODE.

Our system: MaxDB 7.6.03.15 on 32bit linux.

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

the parameter you were looking for is _UNICODE.

In your case we have to assume that it is set to NO.

You cannot:create columns with datatype UNICODE and you cannot create user with defaultcode UNICODE when this parameter is set to NO.

--> it has to be set to YES.

BUT : this cannot be done that easy as other parameters.

The help of dbm is needed and it will last a little bit longer as the database will have to be migrated to unicode (meta-data-change, no user-data-change!). I am not familiar with the dbm-statement needed for this.

Depending on the work done since creation of your database, you may decide to destroy your current one and create it anew with this changed parameter.

Elke

thomasschulz2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Elke,

thanks for your help. We've created a second instance with _UNICODE = TRUE and there the statements work as expected.

In the documentation we missed the hint, that this parameter is required for using unicode data inside the tables. The description for the parameter _UNICODE only refers to "names of database objects in the database catalog". Maybe you can forward this hint to the colleagues, which are maintaining the documentation.

Regards,

Thomas

birgit_malik
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hallo Thomas, thank you for your tipp. The behavior of the database in this area has changed and the documentation was corrected for SAP MaxDB Version 7.7. Best regards Birgit Malik

Answers (0)