cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager users consume a SAP Licence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I've been working with customers with Solution Manager and I got a very extrange question. A company has got a restriction about the numbers of users that can be created in Solution Manager. They were said that only users which have a SAP productive licence (ERP/CRM/SRM, etc.) are allowed to use Solution Manager. So, they deleted all users which do not have a productive user. So all the consultants now cannot use SolMan for the projects.

In my view, this totally wrong, since you want to have all your support team, and consultants working in projects, using Solution Manager as fundamental tool, an for sure, most of them will NOT have user in the productive system.

Do you have any clear statement somewhere in the Enterprise Support contract or somewhere else which clearly state that users in SolMan need to have a productive licence? Is there any note, mail from SAP that say so?

I appreciate your input.

Regards

Esteban Hartzstein

TeByon Consulting

Director

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Esteban,

Are these restrictions imposed directly by SAP or by customer?

I have never heard about restrictions for SolMan (if you don't use it for non-SAP support).

As I know, SolMan "free of charge" solution (including users).

But I don't have any documental arguments

Regards,

Art

Edited by: Artem Ivashkin on Sep 14, 2009 4:10 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

There were a SAP licence auditing, so they got that message at that time, which is very strange. Then they decided to delete Solution Manager users. I have the same view, but I would like to get some writthen support for that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any comments? Please give your inputs.

Many thanks

Esteban

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My initial thought that SolMan can be used by any user and that they don-t need to have a productive user. So, consultants can be using Solman without paying any additional licence.

Regards

Esteban

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I've been working with customers with Solution Manager and I got a very extrange question. A company has got a restriction about the numbers of users that can be created in Solution Manager. They were said that only users which have a SAP productive licence (ERP/CRM/SRM, etc.) are allowed to use Solution Manager. So, they deleted all users which do not have a productive user. So all the consultants now cannot use SolMan for the projects.

Generally spoken this is correct. Only those users who have a full production license for a component may use Solution Manager, if you construe the contract strictly. The question is: where is "the cut"?

> Do you have any clear statement somewhere in the Enterprise Support contract or somewhere else which clearly state that users in SolMan need to have a productive licence? Is there any note, mail from SAP that say so?

I would check the obvious place - your Enterprise Support contract with SAP (resp. the one of the customer). Since those contracts are subject to negotiation you/the customer may have special clauses and terms that tell you/them, how your/the customers licenses can be used. Since SolMan is an integral part of the enterprise support you/the customer should get the exact information you need in the contract.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your answer. I feel a bit unconfortable with this definition. I feel that SAP is pushing everybody to use SolMan in all the functionalities. I, as a Solution Manager expert, am supporting the introduction and use of Solution Manager, starting with implementation projects. I would say that is almost no sense (at least for me) not to allow internal and external consultants using SolMan since they do not have a user in the productive system. I will double check the support contract, however it is very strange to me all this pressure. I would like to hear that this was just a misunderstanding of my customer and SAP representative.

I appreciate your comments.

Regards

Esteban

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I got an answer from some very knowledgeable person at SAP, responsible for Solution Manager:

Hi Everyone:

The SAP Solution Manager is covered under the customeru2019s support agreement, so normally we have the customers address this with their account team if they have any questions. There is more information in the solution manager homepage FAQ. Note that all use of SAP Solution Manager is u201Ccoveredu201D by the customer agreement, including users. The only exception is use of Service Desk for non-SAP components, in this case the account team can inquire if any additional licenses are required.

2. What is the cost of installing SAP Solution Manager?

The following items regarding SAP Solution Manager are covered:

The SAP Solution Manager Software.

The license for SAP Solution Manager Standard Edition.

The license for MaxDB (formerly known as SAP DB). If customers choose to use a different database, database license costs may apply depending on the customer's agreement with his database vendor.

3. Which licenses do customers need for SAP Solution Manager?

To run SAP Solution Manager, customers need the following licenses:

SAP Solution Manager

Database - The license for SAP DB is covered by the SAP maintenance agreement. If customers choose to use a different database, database license costs may apply depending on the customer's agreement with their database vendor.