cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why SAP needs Web dynpro for Java evenit has Web dynpro for ABAP ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Experts,

Why SAP supports web dynpro for Java even it has web dynpro for abap whats the reason behind it. And when was Web dnpro for java technology introduced into SAP and when was web dynpro for ABAP technology introduced into SAP and which will help full to SAP Customers can explain in brief.

Thanks in advance,

Shabeer Ahmed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did I get this right that the new BPM technology only supports WDJ components? If SAP would be shifting to WDA completely then why would they exclude it from the new BPM.

On the other hand. I dont see a reason to not use WDA for portal applications on the long run. I think the SAP Java Connector is far more useful for java developers because you wouldnt want to use webdynpro for standard web applications where you could just use other UI technologies without breaking the portal design guidelines.

Edit: And of course use any application server than you want

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank u Gopal for your valuable information on Web dynpro.

susmita_panigrahi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

If the application is interacting with SAP table that is application is extracting data from SAP and sending some data to SAP, then its better to user ABAP WebDynpro instead of WebDynpro java.

If we are using sql or oracle as a data base then WebDynpro java is the option to use.

Thanks

Susmita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To make it simple, when ever we want to interact with only SAP system then Webdynpro ABAP can suffice our requirement.

But when you want to interact with multiple Non-SAP systems then Webdynpro Java will be the alternative for you.

Webdynpro ABAP is recent one introduced by SAP, The ESS which was in Webdynpro Java. Now i guess SAP is trying to shift to Webdynpro ABAP as most of the ESS components will be speaking to SAP HR system only.

Regards

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can u tell me when was web dynpro for java was introduced into the SAP. As we also can communicate from wd for ABAP to non-sap systems right.

srinivas_sistu
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shabeer,

I think WD Java was first introduced in 2003. Well, in regards to the access from SAP to non-SAP systems Java is always a lot better than WD ABAP. Because, ABAP is a SAP specific language and with Java you get more flexibility in regards to non-SAP systems.

Regards,

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gopi,

Is that guarantee that SAP will support WD JAVA in future after making his WD ABAP full fledged in all aspects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP mentioned early and often that WebDynpro (Java) will be the preferred implemantation technique for the SAP Portal.

It will be around for a long time and it will increase in importance. Its not ABAP or Java in this case, its building a common GUI for both technologies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yes, I think SAP will support JAVA platform as far as I know. Because, SAP's Enterprise Portal is developed basically using JAVA. There is quite a good argument here on SDN and few people even wrote some really interesting blogs regarding this argument. Have a look at the following links.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs;jsessionid=%28J2EE3417600%29ID1067845450DB0198362289197401325...

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs;jsessionid=%28J2EE3417600%29ID1067845450DB0198362289197401325...

The above links are only few of many on SDN.

I hope this resolves your issues.

Regards

Gopal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Thanks for your answers this is the last question from my side

Most of SAP Customer's are using are running their application in WD Java.

1. But recently Oracle corporation guys have buys Java will Java support SAP in future

2. The ESS which was in Webdynpro Java. Now i guess SAP is trying to shift to Webdynpro ABAP.

Then what about SAP Customers will they wait and see other wise they due to above reasons they will convert WD Java to WD ABAP.Which one will be better for them.

In future SAP will make WD ABAP more flexible than WD Java.

Thanks for u all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shabeer,

As I said earlier, even though Oracle buys Sun, I think Java plays a vital role in the portal scenario of SAP. As you can see the blog by Michael which explain about the effects of Oracle acquiring Sun.

/people/michael.nicholls/blog/2009/04/21/oracle-buys-sun--do-we-care

You can also look at the following links for a nice debate on WD Java vs WD ABAP and you can learn the importances of booth of them.

http://www.sapfrontend.com/webdynpro-for-java-or-webdynpro-for-abap/

/people/oliver.mayer/blog/2006/06/14/web-dynpro-abap-or-java

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/e0e4940c-035c-2b10-0b9d-eb8f99674f4e&override...

I hope this will resolve your queries. Let us know if need any further help.

Regards,

Gopal.

Edited by: Gopal on Sep 15, 2009 10:42 AM