cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

component assignment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guyz,

I have a simple question just for clarification.

Component A (proc type E in mat master) has three components B,C,D assigned to it in BOM. B,C,D have reference points. With CN33, I assign these components, to an activity. So the three components could be seen below this activity. Procurement type in all three comp is F i.e external procument.

I saw this example in IDES project T-20000. I was wondering as why should it be like that. Because, comp B,C,D will be procured externally and get consumed direclty in activity. There was no need for comp A with proc type E.

MRP type in comp A is PD with strategy group 70. When MRP was run at project level, nothing happened to this material, i.e mat A. Comp B,C,D could be procured the purchase req because of external procurement F in mat master.

Am I missing some scenario or my understanding is correct.

Cheers

Sunny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you have a production BOM consisiting of three components. So material A will be produced by your project and this is why the procurement type is 'E'. The components for it will be purchased externally - hence the procurement type 'F'.

I hope it clarifies the issue,

Aleksandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yepp, you are right. It is production BOM.

But

Since comp A has not been assigned to any activity, no planned order is created. if no planned order then no production order also. This means comp B,C,D will simply be procured and consumed in activity while comp A will be simply useless.

So the clear question is : why are components assigned to activities atall. In my view, only header should be assigned if the need to be produced inhouse. The components will be procured/or produced through production order.

If something needs to be procured externally then it will surely need not have a BOM and hence can be directly linked to activities for later consumption.

Please clarify.

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP has given two options to handle manufacturing materials.

1) BOM - Planned Order -- Production Order -- Final Item.

2) Assembly in Network.

The IDES T-20000 case is an example of 2nd point.

When you use case 2. It means that you are assembling in project network instead of in Production Order. In CN33 transaction if you click of the 'transfer Button" (3rd from left at the top), enter project def , header material (i.e. A) and reference point , then header is also transferred to project structure. Header will be transferred with negitive quantity and with black flush indicator flagged. All the child components (B,C,D) are transferred with +ve qnty. After you procure B,C,D issue them to the Network reservation. Now child componets are consumed. When you confirm the activity to which A is assigned , it will be posted to the WBS stock (if it is indiv material) else to plant stock (if it is collective material). The conversion of B,C,D to A , is mentioned in the internal activity , you can mention the work center , duration in which B,C,D are converted to A.

The above process is adopted when entire procurement, assembly and inventory is managed thru P.S.

Else you can assign header material (A) to network activity and run MRP, which will create Planned Order for A and P.R for B,C,D.

So it is two options given by SAP.

Hope now it is clear.

Thanks

Saikishore.Ganga

Former Member
0 Kudos

Awesome..Its crystal clear now.

Cheers

Sunny

fortian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Saikishore Ganga,

The process you are describing is exactly what I need. The problem is that despite clicking on the Transfert Button as you tell the header is not being transferred to my project structure. Which could be the reason?

Thanks a lot,

mforman

Answers (0)