Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP inquiry if I want to change Portal UME data source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi masters,

I have this scenario:

My portal are currently using server-A as single-sign-on(SSO) UME data source.

I want to switch my portal's UME data source from server-A to server-B.

I notice that the IP address for server-A is publish to the web.

My question is that if I want to switch UME data source from server-A to server-B, do I need to publish the IP address for server-B to the web? Or would Netweaver portal accept an local intranet-based IP for UME data source?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

When ever I see IP addresses entered in config, I brace myself for the fact that sooner or later I will get some strange messages or something won't work...

I assume that by "server A + B" you are refering to server nodes, and not different SIDs?

Have you installed a web dispatcher and how have you configured it?

Cheers,

Julius

ps: I suspect that this is not security related (although relevant) so please confirm that I can move it to the NW Admin forum?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I'm sorry, as I am not sure which forum I should post this topic. Kindly move it to the relevent forum as see-fit

In additions, I am moving the UME from server-A (SID-A) to server-B (SID-B). I have been brief and have the manual from my implementation consultants on the steps, so I think I have the dispatcher up and running, although I am not sure how to verify this.

The different that I notice is that while server-A's IP address is publish, no other server's IP is publish. I am wondering if I need to publish server-B's IP address so that my Portal's UME can work, or if Portal's UME does not need a published (external) IP to work.

Thank you.

Regards

0 Kudos

Is your portal (web?) in the same network zone as your server-B (backend)?

I suspect not... and the firewall only has an IP address entered, hence the portal config is "hardcoding" the IP address to connect to as well.

Just a guess,

Julius

0 Kudos

Ya, you are right.

My Portal is in the public IP range whereas my server-B is in the local IP range.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have decided to play it safe by publishing the IP of server-B to public prior to changing my portal's UME data source to server-B.

0 Kudos

You should take note of this "little" setting when you change hardware or retire servers, etc....

Also, someone who can spoof their IP address in your portal network might become curious about the connection details to your UME source.

Does the documentation which you mentioned before contain any informatîon about SAProuters and "message servers" which have been used? Any mention of a "Business Connector"?

From the information you have given so far it is hard to comment, without dictating "best practice" to you...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

The thing is that there is no mention in any documentations with regards to message server, SAProuters and Business Connector as per your reply.

What was mention in the documentation provided by my implementation consultants is that if I were to change/update my Portal's UME database (for SSO), I only need to change the setting inside Portal's system configuration itself.

It just that while I was preparing for the changes, I notices the publish of IP address on my existing server-A; thus I decided to come here and check it out if my implementation consultant has miss out anything in his documentations.

Regards.

p/s: the documentations also does not include the configuration of SSO (for server-B), enabling of ports used by Portal, and other relevents SAP services such as sapgui. These configuration requirement was only detectable when I was preparing for the migrations, as the Portal-to-Server-B connection test fails until I manage to configure these configurations.