cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy or File which is better approach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am using PI 7.1. I need to pass some informations (approx. 40K records per day) from SAP CRM database to a third party application. The target communication will be file. What is the best approach for source communication? Is proxy the better option or should I write an extraction programme in SAP CRM, generate one file, and then do the transformations required in PI?

Regards,

Nirupam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Use of Proxy will be the better approach!!

If you use File based communication, Adapter engine has to convert this file to an XML format and then IE will process this message

But if it is Proxy, Proxy Run time will directly send the message in XML-SOAP format from local IE to PI IE. So your run-time is saved by skipping Adapter Engine .

Regards

Gopinath J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys, forgot to mention one thing, tThe approximate file size would be 10 MB per day. Is then also proxy the beter option?

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>The approximate file size would be 10 MB per day. Is then also proxy the beter option?

this size is ok for file adapter to process, but again this depends on the hardware configuration of PI server and also on the load on server (ie number of interfaces running at peak time).

I will go for Proxies for some more bigger records (>100MB). because for me the overhead involved in file adapter configuration and maintainance is less as compared to proxies.

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I prefer Proxy as there is no adapter engine processing required. And secondly they is no need to map the directories of ECC and PI.

Shweta.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

will go for Proxies for some more bigger records (>100MB). because for me the overhead involved in file adapter configuration and maintainance is less as compared to proxies.

Can you specify what are the overhead involved in proxy for this case? I am just trying to understand the scenario.

Thanks,

Nirupam

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some of the overhead which I can think of are:

1. Proxy code: development effort is required.

2. Monitoring File adapter is easy

3. Proxy is structure dependent, any change in Message Type, you need to recreate the proxy

4. Proxy is adapter less technology so it can be used when big-volumes of data are involved.

5. Proxy: Both ABAP and XI consultant required for monitoring the process

6. File: Only XI guy is enough.

7. Maintenance in R3 and XI required for Proxy (since the code is in R3)

and so on..

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shweta,

Your comments? (I think I should go for file though!)

Cheers

Nirupam

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

First of all as this is adapter less communication, I think it is better to use in as many senario as possible. Why only for big messages. There is no limit on number of Proxy senario count ;).

Secondly, You need ABAPer for custom ABAP program to extarct and create file. So in either case you need both ABAP and PI skill.

Monitoring will be using same tools no extra tool is needed for proxy.

And If you use Proxy, in future even if you message size increses you dont have to bother.

If any change is there in the interface then also you need both ABAPer and PI Skill to make the changes.

Hence I feel, whenever possible, it is better to use Proxy.

Shweta.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nirupam,

If you want to invest few mins to know more abt proxy's and comparing to RFC/IDocs, refer the below! Though your choice is between proxy & File, but below is useful to you(i hope)!

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems Choose the Right Adapter to integrate with SAP systems

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy ABAP Proxies in XI(Client Proxy)

Regards,

Jilan

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirupama,

>>40K records per day)

per day 40k records will not be a problem for file adapter.

>>The target communication will be file.

so let the source also be file (provided it is not difficult to make one)

>>What is the best approach for source communication? Is proxy the better option or should I write an extraction programme in SAP CRM, generate one file, and then do the transformations required in PI?

if a record will be of size 40 k then both mode is ok.. the one for which you will have less overhead to create and maintain should be selected.

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Proxy is better option. It gives the better performance.

Shweta