Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is JAVA Addin & Client Copy for BI 7.0 EHP1 SR1(Non Unicode) Possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

We have a Development & a Production BW 3.5 Server

(Non Unicode)(only ABAP Stack) with Windows 2003(32 bit) & SQL 2005.

We are in the process of upgrade.

1)So We did the DB export of our BW production though System Copy.

2)We formated the BW 3.5 Development System

3)Installed Windows 2003(64 bit) & SQL 2005(64 bit)

4)Did the database import in this server.

5)Upgraded it to BI 7.0 EHP1 SR1

So Now we have BI 7.0 EHP1 SR1 (Non Unicode) (Only ABAP Stack No JAVA)

We have two problems :

1)Since we took DB export of production so its showing production client

after upgrade but we want a separate client as a development client.So we are planning to do client copy to create new client from existing.Please do let us know wheather client copy is the right option or is there anything else we can do?

2)Now 2nd problem is that we want to do JAVA Addin installation to our Upgraded BI 7.0 EHP1 SR1(Non Unicode) (ABAP Stack) in order to make it ABAP+JAVA.Please do let us know wheather it is possible because when I downloaded the Installation Master for NW 7.0 EHP1 SR1 & ran sapinst, it has no option like " JAVA Addin for ABAP" which is there for

NW 7.0 SR3 Installation Master.

Since our Go live is getting delayed so please do let me know your inputs as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Sunil Maurya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sunil,

1) As many of the BI objects are client-independent, multiple clients on same system, like DEV and PRD, are not recommended...

2) ABAP+JAVA is no longer suggested for BI solution. Please install a BI-JAVA system, and connect it to your current BI (ABAP) system.

You could detach/attach the data files when moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows/SQLserver.

Unicode is preferred...

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply,

Iam not keeping Multiple clients on same server.

Since we took the System copy of production so I have production client 520.But we want a different client No. say 220.

Iam planning to do client copy of 520 to create 220 & lateron we'll delete 520.

For my 2nd query,

I have only one server thats why Iam going for JAVA Addin.

Regards,

Sunil Maurya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

What you need to do is install an Additional Usage Type "BI-JAVA" via JSPM on your current system.

There is nothing like a "JAVA Add In" for your landscape.

Thanks,

Saba.

Edited by: Saba Sheikh on Sep 10, 2009 10:57 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

If you want to change the client from 520 to 220, you might need to run BDLS and other steps to connect to the source systems, like SAP ERP system, correctly.

ABAP+JAVA for BW is no longer suggested. You could install more than one SAP systems on one physical server, if the hardware is powerful enough.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply,

Actually I know about BDLS Tcode & I have the documents also.But it is for renaming logical system thats why I doubt.

Here I did the system copy of BW production & created a duplicate server with different SID,IP & hostname.

Due to this copied system is having the same configuration,client No.,source systems as BW production.

But we are planning to use the copied system as BW Development system thats why now I want to do two things:

1) I want to change the client from 520 to 220 &

2)In copied system R/3 source system is pointing to R/3 production. I want it to point to R/3 DEV instead.

Please do let me know your inputs.

Regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saba,

Till NW 7.0 SR3, it is possible to install the JAVA Addin on ABAP Stack but in NW 7.01(i.e. EHP1 SR1) SAP has disabled that functionality.

I don't know why they disabled it. If some one is upgrading the BW 3.5 system, after upgrade it will be only ABAP stack.

To use many new functionalities we need BI JAVA Stack so how to add BI JAVA ?

If SAP is disabling this fuctionality then they should provide some other alternatives.

Regards,

Sunil.

Edited by: sunil maurya on Sep 29, 2009 2:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sunil,

You can copy client from 520 to 220 with Tcode SCCL, just like other local client copies.

There was a How-to guide about switching the source system (like ERP) after BW copy. I think the updated one is attached at Note 1333302. Note 886102 is very helpful as well. Please check whether that is what you are looking for.

Best regards,

Victor

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Till NW 7.0 SR3, it is possible to install the JAVA Addin on ABAP Stack but in NW 7.01(i.e. EHP1 SR1) SAP has disabled that functionality.

> I don't know why they disabled it.

Yes - because combined ABAP + Java instances are a pain to administer and are no longer recommended. This is especially true for resource hungry applications as BI-Java.

> If some one is upgrading the BW 3.5 system, after upgrade it will be only ABAP stack. To use many new functionalities we need BI JAVA Stack so how to add BI JAVA ?

> If SAP is disabling this fuctionality then they should provide some other alternatives.

See above.

If you do a system copy of a combined ABAP + Java system you need to copy both, not only one and trying to do the "easy way" of using the installation DVDs. This is then no more a copy. Both support package stacks have to be at the same level, means, if you upgrade/patch ABAP then you need to patch Java too - and vice versa.

So you have two ways now:

- install a separate instance with a different SID and connect that to the BI

- restart the system copy process and select "ABAP + Java System" to copy both at the same time.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reply & your time.

We had BW 3.5 System with only ABAP Satck, JAVA stack is not there so can we copy ABAP+JAVA ?

Also I took the Database export of production & imported it to create a duplicate system with same hostname,IP & SID (original system has been shutdown to avoid any conflict).

After this I upgraded this duplicate system to BI 7.01 (EHP1 SR1).

Now I have BI 7.01(EHP1 SR1) with only ABAP stack & I want the BI JAVA Stack.

Actually we have one Enterprise Portal 6.0. I have to upgrade it to EP 7.01(EHP1 SR1). So Iam thinking to put BI JAVA component on EP & then connect it to BI ABAP but I don't have any idea how to proceed.

What do you suggest ?

Regards,

Sunil Maurya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We had BW 3.5 System with only ABAP Satck, JAVA stack is not there so can we copy ABAP+JAVA ?

No - of course in this case you just copy ABAP.

> After this I upgraded this duplicate system to BI 7.01 (EHP1 SR1).

Ok.

> Now I have BI 7.01(EHP1 SR1) with only ABAP stack & I want the BI JAVA Stack.

Then install a new instance (an AS Java with usage type EP, EP-Core and BI) and connect that to the BI 7.01 ABAP system.

> Actually we have one Enterprise Portal 6.0. I have to upgrade it to EP 7.01(EHP1 SR1). So Iam thinking to put BI JAVA component on EP & then connect it to BI ABAP but I don't have any idea how to proceed.

I would also not use your normal portal for this purpose but install a separate one.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Actually 1st time I also thought of doing the same but a consultant from SAP told me that better install BI JAVA Component on EP & connect BI ABAP to it instead of installing a new BI JAVA 7.01(EHP1 SR1).

Also here they will not recomend to install a separate BI JAVA server because it requiresa separate server.

Anyways thanks a lot for your inputs. I'll talk to my superiors & will decide on it.

Have A Nice Day

Regards,

Sunil Maurya

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Actually 1st time I also thought of doing the same but a consultant from SAP told me that better install BI JAVA Component on EP & connect BI ABAP to it instead of installing a new BI JAVA 7.01(EHP1 SR1).

If you check

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/landscapedesign

--> How to Deploy SAP NetWeaver - Guidance for better System Landscape Designs

you'll see that the BI Java part should be installed separately (be it on a separate server or as separate instance on another server).

Markus

Answers (0)