cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat file uploads

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I am working with BW 3.5. Is it possible to upload Flatfile data through deltas, and can i put flatfiles in Background.

Regards,

Rams.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rams,

Never tried much on this.. but if you can open the transfer structure.. there is a dropdown to select the delta load. After that you can create 'delta' infopackages. Ofcourse u have to supply 0RECORDMODE value yourself from the flat file..

Another good idea woould be load everything into ODS 1st and then pass them to cube via delta if suits u r need.

best regards,

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot have delta infopackages with flat file loads.

You either need to use and ODS that will send deltas to the cube,or configure some program on source system side,such that it will send only new/changed records.

cheers,

Vishvesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friends,

Thaks for all,

Really i got good answers from the forum.

But still my dought not clear, shreya said in AL11 transaction the DIR_HOME is available, but in file path is not available.

The scenario in my workstation is like

Every day the thousands of data records are comming through .CSV file, i need to upload this file into bw by midnight automatically and i want delta records also...

plz clear me....

regards

rams.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

In Tcode AL11, u can see all the SAP directories nothing but Application Server. Generally they will maintain all the flat files in the application server.In the Application Server u will be having various paths like /uploads/bw or Dir_Home.In the infopackage level under the External data tab we are give file path coming from Appliction server. Actually Shreya was trying to explain u this scenario.

For eg: The flatfile is at application server under the path /uploads/bw/ABC.CSV

In the infopackage level under the External data tab i should mention the file target as /uploads/bw/ABC.CSV

I think it was clear..

Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos
Every day the thousands of data records are comming through .CSV file, i need to upload this file into bw by midnight automatically and i want delta records also...

Dear Rams,

For this one..

1) Create a infopackage with a fixed file path on the application server.. say Ex: /usr/myarea/myfile.csv

schedule this by selecting day and time and periodicity using schedule tab.

2) Use Unix (or) FTP tools to upload received .csv file into the above directory before the mentioned day and time. You may have to take basis ppl help in uploading (or) geting userid and passwd..

regards,

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rams,

u need to create a infopack with a fixed file path on the application server and schedule this by selecting day and time and periodically in scheduler screen

You may upload your CSV file to your workstation using FTP. This is true if your application server is based on Unix (usually supports FTP) or Windows with an FTP server in it.

If your application server is a Unix system then do the following in a command prompt/shell in your local workstation.

0) In the command prompt go to the directory where your CSV file is located (e.g. cd c:\temp\)

1) in the command prompt type: ftp yourappserver.com

2) enter your user name and password (may be different than your password in the sap system).

3) go to the directory in the app server where you wish to save your CSV file using the FTP CD command ( e.g. cd /var/opt/csvfiles/)

4) Execute the FTP PUT command to upload your CSV file to the app server (e.g. put mydatafile.csv)

5) when the upload is complete verify that the file is loaded in the app server by using SAP transaction AL11 and go to the directory where you uploaded the file ( i.e. /var/opt/csvfiles)

6) In the InfoPack external tab, specify the path where you uploaded the file.

If you don't have unix access then you may wish to find/write an abap program in your SAP system which lets you upload a file from a local workstation. The Function module GUI_UPLOAD helps in this case.

go to transaction AL11 and there you can find DIR_HOME with a path.

That path is ur Application Server path, there you can save your file. Then in the External Data tab in Scheduling screen select Application server and on the file name press F4 so u can get the AL11 files select that then double click DIR_HOME, select your file.

It will ask for display contents or copy name. Give COPY NAME the file name with path will be copied.

-Shreya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

Thankx for ur info..

Can u explain step by step, this is more usefull to my reqiurement or plz send any Help files about this info...

A waiting ur reply.

Regards,

Rams.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rams,

I think you have got the asked information already.. let us know if you still have any issue..

All the best!

Cheers,

Hari

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sachin_kulshrestha2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can have delta. In the see the transfer structure you will find update mode. You can use as per your requirement.

You can schedule load in background through batchprocessing. for which your file should lie on application server.

as prompted previously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

I know in transfer you can maintain udate mode, but I don' t think that is possibile to maintain delta for flat file. It is not possible for the system have delta queue from a flat file, and is imossible to keep the history of the upload.

If you have any exerience of flat file uload in delta would you please send me an example, it would be very usefull for me ?

Thank you in advance.

Riccardo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rams,

It is not possible to upload Delta from FlatFile. To have delta you have two possibilities:

1) File has only delta records.

2) Use an ODS to upload flat file, with the overwrite you can use the delta for the others structure.

You can upload file in Batch only if you sotre the flat file on the application server (transaction AL11).

Ciao.

Riccardo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

if u want to laod delta's to cube

u 1st need to use ODS

faltfile-> full upload>ODS

ODS--> Init and then Delta-> Cube

thru faltfile the file should in appl server if ur scheduling background (or thru Process chains)

go to transaction AL11 and there you can find DIR_HOME with a path. It will be like

F:\usr\sap\BWD\DVEBMGS01\work

That path is ur Application Server path, there you can save your file. Then in the External Data tab in Scheduling screen select Application server and on the file name press F4 so u can get the AL11 files select that then double click DIR_HOME, select your file.

It will ask for display contents or copy name. Give COPY NAME the file name with path will be copied.

if u want start imm the file should be in ur local desktop only....

Note:

For delta loading directly into the cube from flat file, you have only additive delta option.

In flat file , have only the delta records( new records and changed records with difference value in keyfigures).

-Shreya