cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DBAcockpit and virtual hostnames

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have setup DBAcockpit to Solution Manager for monitoring Oracle databases in SAP landscape. Now the problem is

that I would like to run maintenance jobs and backups via DB13/DB13C. We have two MSCS-clustered environments with

several SAP installations in one cluster.

Oracle databases has virtual hostnames (dbhost) in cluster but when registered to DBAcockpit it will get the cluster node physical

hostname. I have tried to change the name to virtual on the DBAcockpit table but it will revert back.

So the SAPXPG_DBDEST_<hostname> will have name of the physical hostname and I can run brtools only to one database

because I need specify right gateway information. If I would like to use DB13 to another database running on same cluster

node I have to manually change the gateway information to pointing that database.

This would be easy to configure if DBAcockpit would understand virtual hostnames and SAPXPG_DBDEST_<virtual_hostname>

connections could be created to every database in cluster.

Any ideas how this could be done?

- Jari -

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

can you look at this

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_NW70EHP1/helpdata/en/99/23f31f49c04227a07cf6e09725c50b/frameset.htm]

Regards,

Muralidhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer but that is for SQL-server and we have Oracle.

Problem exist when you have several Oracle databases in one physical server.

BR. Jari

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB13C--> Menu --> Goto --> Backend Configuration. Select your Database --> Menu --> Administration --> Oracle Settings.

Specify the virtual hostname.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jari,

I noticed this problem too, unfortunately your message wasn't answered. And as you may have noticed, Thomas's procedure doesn't work. Eventually I found a colleague who explained to me that you need to modify the generated TCP/IP RFCs for the cluster (SAPXPG_DBDEST_<physical host>) so that the target host uses the logical host name. You'll still see the physical host name in DBACOCKPIT, but at least the tool will work.

Also, the brconnect will fail if the SCS and database are on opposite sides of the cluster, since the gateway will try to connect to the database on the local host (you could create another stand-alone gateway for the database group, but since only brtools are affected by this, it isn't really worth it).

Regards,

Sean