cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data guard difference in primary and standby OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are planning to setup a data guard in our landscape. But my question what are the prerequisites should be consider before getting in to that.

Like my environment -

1. The primary database is running with Red hat Linux 5 - IBM 64 bit and the standby database is Redhat Linux 2.1 IBM 32 bit system.

2. The primary database is running with Red hat Linux 5 - IBM 64 bit with oracle 8.1.7.4 and the standby database is

Linux 2.1 IBM 32 bit system with oracle 10g.

Is the above thing is possible? or we should maintain the same OS / DB combination in the data guard setup.

I am following the below link.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/standby.htm#i72053

If anyone have thoughts on this please do advice me.

Regards

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please explain to us what exactly you want to do with the standby database?

According to note 105047 - Support for Oracle functions in the SAP environment

12. Data Guard

• You can use "Physical Standby", but Oracle provides support (not SAP).

• You cannot use "Logical Standby"

So in short, no a data guard configuration with Red hat Linux 5 - IBM 64 bit with oracle 8.1.7.4 to Linux 2.1 IBM 32 bit system with oracle 10g is NOT possible.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please frame your question again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mho,

Apoligise I didnt frame my question properly but your answer also helpful for me.

Kindly give your thoughts on the below.

We have same oracle version as 10g in primary and standby database system but we have difference in OS level like (Primary database is running with 64bit redhat linux 5 and the standby database is running with 32bit Linux 2 )

From the above scenrio is this possible to set up a data guard configuration?

Kindly revert to me if still i am not clear in my question.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know it is possible to use a 64-bit primary, and 32-bit standby hardware. BUT you would need to install the 32-bit software on the primary side. So in fact you would just have two 32-bit databases.

Obviously it is strongly suggested to have the same hardware and OS on both sides, it makes your live a lot easier.

And you still did not tell us what you want to do with the standby database. Something like:

- for high availabiliy, in case a error on our database happens, we want to failover to the standby database (maybe running the standby in a delayed mode)

- for analysis (reporting)

- just for fun

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mho,

You made me clear and I believe i can proceed further with my next step based on your inputs

But I didnt ask this question for fun

We are planning to arrange for the disaster recovery setup in our landscape.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Understand the Disaster Recovery test needs to be a good with the intention you might have to run everything form there.

You should have the same OS on both sides.

Not having makes the test pointless and just a show for audit puposes.

Pravin

Answers (0)