cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing Archive file using SARA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to archive an archiving object in SARA. I have already created the variant in the WRITE action. How do I make sure that the archive file is stored in a directory in the file system?

When I go to Archive object specific customizing -> Technical settings -> Content Server, I don't know which content server to use. I tried using a few of them from the list, but they dnt connect to the the system I want.

So how do I store the archive file generated to the location in a particular server?

Thanks,

Ajay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Archiving is performed in the following basic steps:

1. Write program writes the archive files on the file system

2. Delete program deletes the data from the database

3. Store program moves the archive files from the file system to external storage (content server)

If you have implemented an external storage system (such as SAP content server, Dcoumentum, IXOS etc), only then can you store (step 3 above) your archive files; in other words, the content server you are searching for comes into picture only when you have an external storage implemented and the corresponding customizing is in place.

If you do not have an external storage system implemented, then you can just perform the Write and Delete steps (leave the content server blank); then the archive files will be stored in the location specified by the logical path and logical file name combination you customize in Basis Customizing -> Cross-Client File Name/Paths (transaction FILE).

Please refer to the Customizing documentation in the Link:[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/6d/56a06a463411d189000000e8323d3a/frameset.htm]

Hope this helps,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have a content server setup. If I write archive files without storing them and then deleting from database, what should I do to read the content of the archive file in the future?

Is an HTTP content server required in that case? If so, how do I set it up? I tried creating an HTTP content server pointing to an external server. But when I run the STORE, it fails saying "Error when opening an RFC connection". I am not sure which RFC connection it is talking about. Also do I need to install SAP content server?

Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

I don't have a content server setup. If I write archive files without storing them and then deleting from database, what should I do to read the content of the archive file in the future?

When you archive and delete (without store), data will be in archive files which will reside in file system. You can retrieve the data for display using the standard methods provided by SAP (i.e some standard transactions and reports, archive information system, DRB). For the user, it is transparant whether the data is being retrieved from the archive files in file system or external storage.

Installing and configuring an SAP content server will require a bit of effort and some customization. You will have to go thruough some SAP documentation for this.

I tried creating an HTTP content server pointing to an external server. But when I run the STORE, it fails saying "Error when opening an RFC connection". I am not sure which RFC connection it is talking about. Also do I need to install SAP content server?

Unless you have a proper external storage system, there is no use configuring a content repository in OAC0 and it will end up in error. You can leave the content server blank in archive customizing and perform only write and delete steps.

Keep in mind that if the archive files are residing in file system, then it is vulnerable for accidental deletion. So you need to take proper care so that the archive folder is secure and properly backed up. Furthermore, if there is a legal requirement that the archived data should be stored on a read only media, then you may have to consider an external storage system which supports either optical storage or magnetic WORMS.

Hope this helps,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> Thanks for your replies.

>

> I don't have a content server setup. If I write archive files without storing them and then deleting from database, what should I do to read the content of the archive file in the future?

and well you don't. a SAP content server is not designed as a document archiving system . SAP says explicitely so in the documentation on content server/KPRO.

>Constraints

>

>The SAP Content Server is not intended to replace optical storage systems and other storage media for long-term document >archiving.

for an external archiving system like 3rd party products, e. g. IXOS, EASY, SAPERION you use the 'normal' ArchiveLink Interface and no http (usually). to do so you would follow Juan's advice and setup a content repository (the naming here is irritating ...) etc. starting with OAC0. the name of the content repository created here you would use in your technical customizing in SARA where you also define whether the data will be deleted before or after storing to the archive server, whether to delete automatically etc.

the document archiving system is usually not designed for retrieval of archived data - it is just used as a storage.

but if you want to store your data in your filesystem and if you do not have a document archiving system, you need not do any of that customizing. just specify where the flatfiles should be stored in transaction FILE and add that information to your technical customizing in SARA.

retrieval from flatfiles stored in the filesystem can be pretty inperformant (in case of mass-data, big files, badly specified selections etc.), so you might consider setting up one/more archiving infostructures in transaction SAR*.

i think that was enough information to enable you to go searching for the documentation you need, instead of using trial and error ...

Edited by: Mylene Euridice Dorias on Sep 10, 2009 12:02 PM

put in the quote from the documentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mylene,

As you mentioned that Content server is not required. So you mean to say, that if there is no archiving solution, you can store it in the file system level?

Then can I store the document(pdf) generated through some transaction(invoice, dunning letter etc) can be archived in FS?

But after checking the OCA0, the document area: Archivelink, but storage type ??? what to select to get those files on FS or local disk?

Regards

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you setup a repository in OAC0?... A SAP Content Server is a HTTP repository

Regards

Juan