cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What backup should i took

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

If i am going to apply Basis and Abap patches on my devlopment server then what kind of back should i took before that....

if any kind of problem comes then which directorey is related for that....

USR/SAP/<sid>/TRANS.....

OR WHOLE usr Dir

except that what is required as back point of view .....

Regards

Dik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

whole database backup, full offline would be good

Go to and read 'Backup and Recovery'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anjili,

Suppose i am appling basis patch and server its going to stuck in between...

after that if i am trying to run any t-code then i am getting error.

so in this sitution i have to apply last back up files.

right

so i want to know is these files regarding any specific directory or whole offline back up.

if it is any specific files or dir then specify which one...

or

if it should be whole back then tell me how can took it .....we can make it into any hard drive or tape drive/Tape is needed for that...

suppose i am looking any network drive then which parameter i have change in INIT<SID>.ora or any other file...

also tell me is it possible through db13 or another way..

treat me fresher regarding back up kind of activity...

what is the exact difference between online and offline back up.

if sap is running and we sechedule through db13 then it is onlie ...so what is offline....

please brief me..

also in the mean time i am checking the link which you provide.

Regards

Dik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dik,

With the offline backup of the system , you have a backup which is in the consistent state.

However, with the online backup, if you are restoring the system then you need to apply the logs too.

In the case of the support packs, If you get stuck, the error situation should be overcome by SAP notes and other SAP recommendations.

Difference between online and offline backup:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/b4/2ce684eeb3d848b734df139e3e0f6c/content.htm

Also, check the common SPAM errors:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45B/helpdata/en/7e/c6c2ad98a711d2b429006094b9ea64/content.htm

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prasanna

Edited by: Prasanna K on Sep 9, 2009 1:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear P.K.

thanks for your reply...

as you said that

With the offline backup of the system , you have a backup which is in the consistent state

means what...

suppose i am appling patches and before that i had took the backup (copy paste) of our whole usr directory......... [ USR/SAP/<SID> ]

and i had stuck in between then if i want to restore my server as it was before applying patches then it would work OR NOT if simply i paste those dir usr again ....and restart at OS level also paste last ORAARCH file .....

Let me know sir....

Waiting your valuable reply....

Regards

Dik

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dik,

As you are going to apply only SAP support packages, it is ok to go with an offline backup (either full or whole). No need to backup the run directory as you are not going to do anything with that.

Regards,

Varadhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Varadhu,

Thanks for reply...

As you said

As you are going to apply only SAP support packages, it is ok to go with an offline backup (either full or whole). No need to backup the run directory as you are not going to do anything with that

then i want to tell you that i am not taking backup of only run dir....

ok

as i am new to backup activity then i am asking that if i will take whole usr backup then it will work ....

also can you tell me about online backup which we can take through DB13 ....

if i am having that backup then how can i restore it if server is going to stuck in between when any patch upgradation.....

Last but not least thanks all of you for your valubale reply....

and your guidance....

Regards

Dik

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. backup database with database tools (you failed to mention which database you use).

2. backup /usr/sap

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Eric,

very glad to see your reply....

i am using Ecc 6.0 with Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 platform.

Dear now tell me which one is ok ..... i know only online whole back up which we can sechedile through DB13.....

but if i am looking offline back up at any network path then how can i do.....

thanks in advance for your valuable responce...

Regards

Dik