cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startsap failing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am doing SAP 4.7 installation of HP-UX 11.31 IA 64 with Oracle 10g as DB.

CI is done and ABAP loads for DB installation are also over.However it is now stuck with startsap part. I have done this installation using virtua hostname.

The instance and start profiles also have got created with the virtual hostname prefixed to them.However when sapinst or I issue startsap all DVEBMGS00 an error is coming start profile START_xxx_<phyisical host name> not found. The current start profile is of this nomemnclature START_xxx<virtual host name>. Why is it looking for profiles with physical host name them?appended to

Additonally one more info. Under the home directories of <sapsid>adm and ore<dbsid> .sapenv and .dbenv profiles have got created with virtual host names included in them. I believe this is correct. Please confirm this.

Do I need to modify the startsap script ?

I have used the environment variable SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME during installation with correct value.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When using a virtual hostname, you need to give it as an argument to startsap and stopsap:

sidadm> startsap all <virt_hostname>

This is just how it is, there is nothing else you need to do about it.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Use the start command with the hostname present in the profile files.

thanks,

Prasanna

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was able to find a work around myself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try setting the following parameters in your instance profile:

SAPLOCALHOST = <virtualhostname>

SAPGLOBALHOST = <virtualhostname>

SAPLOCALHOSTFULL = <virtualhostname>

Confirm that the SAPDBHOST is set to the virtual hostname in your Default profile.

Cheers,

Cheng

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Apologies for not updating it earlier. I was able to fix it the same day I posted this query however was so busy that forgot to update it. .

Apparently there is an issue with the kernel delivered by SAP in terms of start and stop SAP scripts.

An analysis suggested that some thing was wrong so decided to go for kernel upgrade. However before that I wanted to formally complete the installation for which starting of SAP was necessary. So this was my workaround:

1. Created a copy of the virtual hostname start profile as physical host name start profile

2. Brought up SAP and completed the installation.

3. Next added SAPLOCALHOST and SAPLOCALHOSTFULL profile parameters in the start and instance profile. The values pointed to virtual host. There is an OSS note for that as well.

4. Shutdown the system and did the kernel upgrade to release 274 for 640.

5. Brought the system up as startsap <virtual hostname>

In case you are getting this error message try this thing out and it should fix the issue for you.

Alternatively you can do a kernel upgrade immediately once you are struck and then try to bring up SAP without creating the copy of start profile. Once SAP is up and remaining steps are done installation is completed. However I wanted to complete the installation with out changing the kernel mid-way so decided on this solution.

Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are two solutions:

1- Either include the virtual hostname in the startsap/stopsap command, as described in MHO's reply. This is the method I advise you to use.

2- Alternatively you can indeed edit the startsap and stopsap scripts, forcing the environment variable HOSTNAME to the virtual host. This used to be the only solution in the old days, but since the startsap/stopsap syntax as extended with Basis 6.x it is no longer necessary if you adopt method (1).

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

Before I posted this query I had already tried out option one. Infact tried out startsap with a lot options. Nothing would work.

Analysis of the start script revealed some issues.l

Hard coding is a solution but not a very good one. SAP binaries would get updated with kernel upgrades and so any changes would get lost. SAP indeed does start with that approach but it is not long lasting solution so we decided against it.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Duplicate post..Removing it.

Edited by: Ruchit Khushu on Oct 21, 2009 8:53 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Edited by: Ruchit Khushu on Oct 21, 2009 8:53 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Edited by: Ruchit Khushu on Oct 21, 2009 8:52 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Edited by: Ruchit Khushu on Oct 21, 2009 8:54 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Check your default profile. check the host name entirs in the default profile. It should be virtual host.

Also, traces will help you to recognise the error.

Thanks

R.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

I am living the some problem in the some OS, DB and release. What is the solution to this problem??

Best Regards,

Johan González

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am living the some problem in the some OS, DB and release.

I don't understand that sentence.

> What is the solution to this problem??

What problem?

Markus