Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ECC 6.0] Degrade performance in particular days

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi forum,

we are in trouble... from few weeks we have a strage situation that hasn't an answar: our ECC is fast on monday, friday, saturday and sunday and slow on tuesday, wednesday and thursday

This performance issue is in batch processing because on dialog the performance is OK (during the day and during the night).

When performance are poor job is slower then days with good performance: 2-3 times.

No particular load changes on last few weeks so we need to investigate. We have a single batch-job (our MRP) that are the same on all days. Steps, variant and report aren't modified and the documents number (sales orders, delivery, invoice, ecc.) are (more or less) the same for all days. Also no changes on job scheduling, so no new jobs or reports are scheduled.

No stopsap/startsap during the week, only an offline backup on sunday in the morning.

Have you have any advice?

The system is a Solaris 10 SPARC box with Oracle 10.2.0.4 and ECC 6.0 ASCII with Kernel patch 185, the box is a SAP-only server, no any other application running on this server: it is a Sun M5000 with 64Gb ram attached to a Sun storage.

Thank you for attention.

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

are you restarting SAP, OS or DB on monday night?

check what specific jobs mid-week. go in SM37.

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

>are you restarting SAP, OS or DB on monday night?

No, on sunday morning only pre-offline backup.

>check what specific jobs mid-week. go in SM37.

No changes.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any OS level backup runs that time? can you check cronjob/scheduled job from OS level?

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

>Any OS level backup runs that time? can you check cronjob/scheduled job from OS level?

From previus week we try to stop on-line backup.

now it is fast... oh is variable condition. sometimes is fast, but without a relation with system load.

Regards.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When your system performance is slow, check from ST06>Detail Ana Menu->Top CPU who is actually taking all the CPU and Memory

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

No differences, same load more or less. So also I/O memory, ecc. Now we have 64GB and 0% swap.

THX.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> we are in trouble... from few weeks we have a strage situation that hasn't an answar: our ECC is fast on monday, friday, saturday and sunday and slow on tuesday, wednesday and thursday

This performance issue is in batch processing because on dialog the performance is OK (during the day and during the night).

When performance are poor job is slower then days with good performance: 2-3 times.

>

> THX.

So only Batch performance is slow on Tues-Thurs.

Just need to go down the list

1. Number of users

2. Proceses running. Same as other days or more

3. Load balancing - For batch are you load balancing.

4. Do the processes run on the same servers or any server with a free process

How about Normal maintainance jobs ?? How long do they run ??

Pravin

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>So only Batch performance is slow on Tues-Thurs.

>Just need to go down the list

>1. Number of users

connected user... 20 (active 1), during the day 250 more or less

>2. Proceses running. Same as other days or more

Same

>3. Load balancing - For batch are you load balancing.

no

>4. Do the processes run on the same servers or any server with a free process

only one server

>How about Normal maintainance jobs ?? How long do they run ??

run after

regards.

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Disk I/O ?

How can I map disk name display in ST06 with right device and/or filesystem ? ... I'm in a non-global zone and disk device has the same name of mount point in df output

Now:

http://img70.imageshack.us/i/87626307.jpg/

http://img337.imageshack.us/i/41792730.jpg/

http://img70.imageshack.us/i/45924741.jpg/

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

HW vendor analisys the system and they say that should be I/O limit. On read it's all OK and in writing (many and little wrinting) it's bottleneck. HW vendor suggest us to migrate from RAID5 to RAID1.

Regards.

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Should be solved with a complete db reorg.

Regards.

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganimede,

Like you say, you need to investigate...

Have a look at Workload Monitor(ST03) for the days when performance is poor, is there something that stands out(db access times, transaction cpu time etc) ? When the system performance is poor check cpu, memory and disk io(ST06) to see if any of these are factors in the performance loss. Is the system running out of memory ? ...check the buffers in ST06. If it is memory check SM04 and identify if it is a particular user that is using more memory than normal.

If it's a particular program or batch job, run a trace on it, check sql statements, are they optimized and using available table indexes effectively ? Also, if you have Early Watch Alert Reports check them, they can be useful for determining which specific transactions are causing the highest load.

There are many available tools in SAP at your disposal, I would recommend a process of elimination starting from the hardware to determine the cause of your performance problems.

Regards,

Nelis