cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Stack 19 and 20 for SolMan 7.0 EPH1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just installed a new SolMan 7.0 EPH1 system. Now I need update stack 19 and 20. I got SAP DVD on these two stacks. But what exactly should I do to perform the updates? Still do support packages (via SPAM) one by one on ABAP? and do separetely on OS level on Java side? Or there are some difference one step process? Does SAP has standard procedures or instructions?

Any info are appreciated.

Yujun Ran

Basis Administrator

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes you are right you need to use SAINT to upgrade to patch level 20

Note 1317199 - Important Solman informations and notes for SP18 and SP19

Regards

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Uday,

I am still not sure how to do it via SAINT. Could you be more clear? Here is what we did support packages before:

1. Extract SAP's *sar files to transport directory. If there are many, I have to extract them one by one or use a program to do.

2. Use SPAM transaction to apply them.

Now since SAP is delivery them by stack, and they all come with a single DVD, do I still have to look at them and extract them one by one or I can click some *.XML file, the system will extract them and start to apply automatically? Is that the purpose of stack? If I still have to do things one by one, what these stacks are useful? Do you guys still do the old way? I noticed that there is a button on the top of the SAINT called "Stack XML File", what is that button for? Is that for we load stack information by load XML file which define stack or other upgrade files?

Thanks,

Yujun Ran

Former Member
0 Kudos

the purpose of SP-Stacks (Service Pack Stacks) are not to ease the unpack of sar files

in short words:

A stack is a combination of given Service Packs which fits well together.

here is the full story:

https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/sp-stacks

The SP Stacks are sets of Support Packages and patches for the respective product version that must be used in the given combination. SAP recommends regular application of these SP Stacks. The technology for applying Support Packages and patches will not change. SP Stacks should be seen as an entity in themselves u2013 customers must heed the minimum requirements and dependencies between individual components, and apply the Support Packages and patches specified in the SP Stack together.

Reducing the wide range of Support Package combinations theoretically possible to practical, sensible combinations has numerous advantages for customers:

• Enhanced quality of single Support Packages, since other components involved meet specific minimum requirements, and thus corrections are less complex and of a higher quality

• SAPu2019s test activities can focus more on the required combinations (SP Stacks), which means that the quality and compatibility of these combinations can be improved

• Download pages specifically tailored to SP Stacks make it simpler to download the required Support Packages and patches

• Application instructions specifically created for SP Stacks reduce the time and effort needed to apply corresponding Support Packages and patches

• Knowledge of possible restrictions and the transparency of side effects and their solutions is generally better within the context of SP Stacks compared to Support Packages and patches that are combined randomly. Potential problems can be pre-empted or solved faster, and operating costs can ultimately be reduced.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nesimi,

Thanks for your information. I gave you as a very helpful answer. Can someone be able to tell me what that two buttons ("Stack Configuration" and "Stack XML file") in SAINT mean and what they are useful?

Thanks,

Yujun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Note 884537 - Benefit and use of the Support Package Stack XML

Note 1134872 - Maintenance Optimizer: FAQ for Stack Delta Files

Note 1308152 - MOPZ: Check configuration for stack delta XML generation

Diggeshhjoshi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please apply ABAP patches through SPAM and Java patches through JSPM.

Thanks,

Digesh Joshi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick reply. So nothing changed? I heard you can you do it via SAINT by selecting a delivered SPSTab.XML file to load everything automatically. Is that not true?

Yujun ran