cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Protect rpt files for Crystal Report

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have an requirement in Crystal Report viewing rights for .rpt files. The scenerio is such that I have a system admin and he has access to the folders where rpt files are saved. Now I want to password protect all the confidential rpt files of crystal report as such that if he tries to open the rpt file in the first screen a password is asked.

Is it possible to password protect or encrypt an rpt file.

Please help and advise in this regard.

Regards,

Kamlesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have an option in file>report options>save lock report design where you can protect .rpt with password. But I think this will work only when you open the report in report designer but not at server after publishing. So you can try an alternate work around by creating a static parameter in the report like this

create a static parameter named Password and use this parameter in the record selection like this

if {?Password}="Crystal" then
true
else
false

where your password is "Crystal" so now if you enter Crystal then you will be able to see the records if you enter other than Crystal then you will note get any records and you can only see the headers and footers.

regards,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Raghavendra,

Your workaround works. Great. Full points to you.

Thanks for the guidance.

Regards,

Kamlesh

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anyone who opens that report in Crystal can view the record selection criterion and figure out the password.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

Perhaps this has already solved, if so sorry..

That's right what Ido said, i have suffered it.

Then, have we any other option of blocking our reports (not vias OS) ?

On the other hand i have tried to find an UFL to solve this.. and nothing....

Thks for any help.

B. Regards

Jose Marin

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If what you are trying to protect is the report design, then one of the 3rd-party report viewers listed at http://www.kenhamady.com/bookmarks.html allows you to encrypt your report.

Answers (0)