cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Utility Project for 2 applications in 2 different Tracks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have 2 applications to be deployed in two different landscapes. So I defined two tracks for them; now these 2 application use common utility projects (Java project and Library project). Here is how it looks,

-

Scenario:

App1EJB

App1Web

App1EAR

App2EJB

App2Web

App2EAR

Util1 (Common to both App1 and App2)

Util2 (Common to both App1 and App2)

-

My question is,

1) So should I define 3 Tracks here?

Track1 (App1)

Track2 (App2)

Track3 (Utilities)

2) Is this a good approach?

3) How will I define usage dependency across Tracks

4) How to do the deployment (always deploy Track3 before deploying Track1 or Track2?)

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

First of all: how many SCA's did you define?

I would have 3 SCA's, one for the APP1* applications (APP1.SCA), one for the APP2* applications (APP2.SCA) and one for the utility aplications (UTILS.SCA).

Each of these SCA's will have their own track. For the first 2 SCA's (APP*.SCA) it is clear why (different landscape). I would have a separate track for the UTILS.SCA, because I would like to use only approved utilities.

Make the UTILS.SCA known in the other 2 tracks as dependent SCA of the APP.SCA's. Using the public parts and used DC's mechanism, you are able to use the utillities in your APP DC's.

Using transport connections between track3 towards track1 and track2 ables you to have the latest approved utillities avaliable in track1 and track2.

Regarding the deployment, there is the question of how you are using the utillites: as services by themselfs on the Java runtime or included in the separate deployable ear-files. In the first case there is only one version of UTILS.SCA avaliable and used by both APP1.EAR and APP2.EAR. In the second case you have 2 versions (included in the ear-files), which makes updates of UTILS.SCA a redeployment of both APP1.EAR and APP2.EAR necessary.

Is this a good approach? Using 3 tracks makes it harder to test the utillities using the APP1.EAR or APP2.EAR. You need some test-features located in the UTILS.SCA. But you are at least sure you have only approved utillities in your ear-files.

Hope this helps a little.

regards,

Alain

Answers (0)