Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the meaning of ' '

sreekanth_sunkara
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

user is tryign to execute some function and user already has access to what is needed for the function, but in SU53 we had an error that user need activity ' ' , any one know what is meant by activity ' '

when we modified the role and added ' ' it worked fine, but what is this symbol mean?

Thaks,

SSSS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

To me it's just a very annoying check. There are couple of occasions where you will find this. I think it's bad programming. Instead of using ' ' in the code I would always opt for <dummy> in the auth check which means the user could have any authorization value for the object/field to pass the check.

I've even tried to convince SAP once that this is actually an error and should be corrected but I didn't come very far with it as far as I can remember.

I really can't think of any good reason why this would be used. If there should be an auth check without a specific action for example I would vote to create a dummy value of some sort (if checking for any value is not appropriate).

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

To me it's just a very annoying check. There are couple of occasions where you will find this. I think it's bad programming. Instead of using ' ' in the code I would always opt for <dummy> in the auth check which means the user could have any authorization value for the object/field to pass the check.

I've even tried to convince SAP once that this is actually an error and should be corrected but I didn't come very far with it as far as I can remember.

I really can't think of any good reason why this would be used. If there should be an auth check without a specific action for example I would vote to create a dummy value of some sort (if checking for any value is not appropriate).

0 Kudos

Yeah, its a custom transaction and i think you are right, it could be something wrong in the code and i will review the issue again

thanks for your help

SSSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sun,

Please use the forum search for the term "dummy" and you will find this explained.

There are good (and bad) reasons for why it would occur and these are covered in a few threads

0 Kudos

Thanks Alex, i will search for it

thanks,

SSSS