Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDynpro + BI Frame

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

hi folks,

we have to show data out of BI in a webdynpro application, in a BI Frame, which should be? the preferred approach.

can anyone give me some tips how to do this.

do i have to create a webtemplate with the bex web application designer?

or is it better to use Visual Composer for that?

or is there any better szenario, but: we don't want to have our application in an Enterprise portal, at least, we could use the Element IView in the WebDynpro application.

best regards

oliver

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> hi folks,

> we have to show data out of BI in a webdynpro application, in a BI Frame, which should be? the preferred approach.

> can anyone give me some tips how to do this.

> do i have to create a webtemplate with the bex web application designer?

> or is it better to use Visual Composer for that?

> or is there any better szenario, but: we don't want to have our application in an Enterprise portal, at least, we could use the Element IView in the WebDynpro application.

> best regards

> oliver

There is no functioning iView UI element in WDA. There was a prototype UI element that slipped out in earlier support packages, but it isn't actually implemented.

You would have a few choices. You could use the BI Application Frame. This is exactly what this UI element was designed for. It does require the content to be based upon Bex:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/74/0beccf62a7425ab9e1b2077fa1bc6e/frameset.htm

You could do the BI visualization in Visual Composer as well. However you can't directly embedd this within Web Dynpro. You would need the NetWeaver Portal. You could run two iViews (one with VC and one with WDA) within one page. You can then use Portal eventing to communicate events and data back and forth between the two iViews.

A more radical approach might be to read the BI data directly (perhaps via RFC or other data APIs) into local ABAP memory of the WDA component. Then you can completely visualize it in WDA. You can use the ALV component, FlashIslands (NetWeaver 7.01 or higher) or IGS based Graphics to visualize within the WDA framework.

You have several choices and a recommendation would really depend upon what your exact requirements are and what resources do you have to work with.

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

hi thomas,

ok we will use web appl designer i think, but we just have to read data from bi and our approach was - some time ago - to show these data in the same list as other data from r/3 there, but thats terrible complicated

but another question : is iView no longer available, we're still using it in a lot of applications - what should we do now???? we don't want to use the portal for a lot of reasons.

thanks

thomas

regards oliver

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The iView UI element was never avaiable. Are you sure you mean iView or iFrame? The iView UI will defintely be remove. It was never actually implemented. At most it would just render an iFrame. The iFrame UI element is a different story. It was a shipped UI element. However it was deprecated:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/15/c07941601b1d09e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

At a certain point, Support Packages on 7.0 and 7.01 do remove this UI element. However in 7.02 next year, the UI element returns and is no longer deprecated.

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

hi thomas,

sorry for so many questions but some things are really cracy - besides we use iFrame of coure - does is mean we have to be very careful when installing SP's as this UI element could be not available in one SP.

i never heard of sap development functions that have been removed in good old r/3 days...

on the other hand, originally we wanted to read bi data directly via rfc's, but we did not find any person who can give us really good -real world- examples how to do this, everything is less documented and so on.

but these are functionalities we really need as we have a lot of online-applications dialog-programs running in r/3 (also sapgui-applicatoins) that should show BI data....

i'm wondering how other comapnies deal with that approaches.

best regards

oliver

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

> does is mean we have to be very careful when installing SP's as this UI element could be not available in one SP.

Yes. Do be careful if you have widespread use of the UI element. I haven't tested it myself (since I work on 7.02 where the UI element is still present) - but I believe existing components continue to run. However you can't change them or create new components that contain the UI element.

> never heard of sap development functions that have been removed in good old r/3 days...

Probably part of the reason we are bringing it back in 7.02.

>on the other hand, originally we wanted to read bi data directly via rfc's, but we did not find any person who can give us really good -real world- examples how to do this, everything is less documented and so on.

I know that it can be done, but I'm afraid I've never worked in BI myself to share experiences. I'm an old ERP guy.

former_member193202
Participant
0 Kudos

hi thomas,

thanks a lot, maybe someday i meet one person who successfully read data out of bi with rfc-calls; but i heard from some guys who tried this that next issue is performance - for understanding: till now we had our data in EIS in R/3 where we can just extract data out of these tables with simple selects....

regards oliver