cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Upgrade 8.1.7.4 to 10g in Red hat linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are planning to upgrade our oracle database from 8i to 10g along with the Redhat linux upgrade from 2.4.9-e 27 ent to Red Hat Linux 5. In my study and also from Installation guides and oracle upgrade guides I made sure that its possible to upgrade our database from 8.1.7.4.

So I have planned the below options to do the same and not sure about the possibilities. If anyone have thoughts and idea on the same please suggest me.

We dont have plan to migrate the development hardware and the sap version is 4.7E

Option 1: Upgrade the Linux to 5 and then upgrading the database to 10g usign upgrade assistant tool

Option 2: Export the database using sapinst tool and then crashing the server. Installing linux5 and importing the database using sapinst tool.(I am aware this is not a good idea since there is no migration in hardware but it will be helpful in production since we are migrating the production system).

Option 3: Performing DBUA assistant in development and sapinst method in production.(helpful in disaster recovery)

Could you please suggest on the same?

My query is that.

If i am performing oracle export from 8.1.7.4 and if i am import the same in oracle 10g using the sapinst tool. Will this work? or it will create a problem in table level. I am looking for answers for this Question. Kindly explain me on this.

Regards

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, this will work. SAPINST will export in a non-DB dependant format, so, you can import in any other database make or version as you want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric,

Could you please also confirm is there any possible to restore the database of 8i into 10g database?

Regards

Vijay

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is technically possible, but you will need to use DBUA from Oracle 10g kit to upgrade the database contents to 10g.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The above link was useful to me

Regards

Vijay

Answers (0)