cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between 10.2.0.2 and 10.2.0.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a member of a team of sap basis professionals. we have many SAP systems running on Oracle database version 10.2.0.2. Customer has asked us following explanation regarding oracle patchset upgrade. I didn't get any core answer for any of these question.

ii) Do they need to upgrade their oracle database to latest patchset i.e. 10.2.0.4?

ii) What benefits (performance, security) will they get?

iii) What is the drawback if they don't upgrade their system to latest patchset?

Can someone please help me to answer these?

Thanks in advance!

With Regards,

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A patchset is what the name says a collection of patches. New bug fixes will not be available for 10.2.0.2 anymore. So with the new patchset a lot of errors, security issues and a few performance issues (optimizer fixes) will be fixed.

This is the main reason to apply the patchset. My answer would be that the upgrade is not an absolute must, but strongly recommended. Besides that the update process is not very complicated and with a bit of training can be done in less than 2hrs per system.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If they are not getting any dumps & performance problem then no need to upgrade it.

BR,

Darshan

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> If they are not getting any dumps & performance problem then no need to upgrade it.

>

>

> BR,

>

> Darshan

So, you think it is better to wait until you get a bug that is not solved in 10.2.0.2 and then have to upgrade in a rush to solve it?

IMHO, I prefer to plan this things, test the patch set properly before going to production with it, not to be forced to install it because I have an issue in Production.

10.2.0.4 not only include bug fixes (a lot) over 10.2.0.2, Oracle is creating patches for it. In addition, some 11g functionality have been backported to 10.2.0.4.

Answers (0)