cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI to be relaced by NW Business client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I see SAP is planning to release SAP GUI 7.2 sometime next year. For a while now there has been rumors that the Netweaver Business Client is going to replace the standard SAP GUI.

Is this true?

Rod

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204677
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Eric,

yes, I'm 100% sure. What you see is e.g. the SAP GUI for Windows embedded into the NWBC frame. So embedding is the scanrio here, but a replace will never be possible.

Kind regards,

Martin

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not at all true although in shops running NetWeaver there assumption is the rest of the planet is just like them. NetWeaver does not scale as effectively as R/3, Enterprise, and ECC ERP with presentation layer on desktop with SAPGUI. I just discussed a position with client that had ECC ERP, EP, BI, GRC landscapes without NetWeaver. For what it is worth after three decades in the industy having a sexy front end for ERP is not making anyone more profitable. The case should be does the client have standard desktop applications each business user must have and access and if true there is no addition cost for distribution of SAPGUI in your desktop standard. The DOD at the ballistic missile site in Dover, NJ was running 7-8K of users for ERP and BI on high end SUN Servers with Oracle with only one ot two SAPGUI users (ABAP development) and where rather happy with there conclusions. They acdded complexity but at the server level not at the distributing desktop level. They mentioned to scale with performance they had some applications servers with ECC ERP, EP, BI, and NetWeaver mix.

I hope this was useful, when I went to internal training at Sun Microsystems with SAP on site it was unclear iniatialy where they where going with NetWeaver. Look at it this was ECC ERP, BI, NetWeaver, SCM, SRM, CRM all have there own database and supporting system landscape. I distributed architecture within centralized system landscapes. The reason, for tactical advantage the way you tune for ERP transactions for sub second response times at the OS and database level is in direct conflict with how you tune for batch moved to BI from ERP, and long running quiries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not at all true although in shops running NetWeaver there assumption is the rest of the planet is just like them. NetWeaver does not scale as effectively as R/3, Enterprise, and ECC ERP with presentation layer on desktop with SAPGUI. I just discussed a position with client that had ECC ERP, EP, BI, GRC landscapes without NetWeaver. For what it is worth after three decades in the industy having a sexy front end for ERP is not making anyone more profitable. The case should be does the client have standard desktop applications each business user must have and access and if true there is no addition cost for distribution of SAPGUI in your desktop standard. The DOD at the ballistic missile site in Dover, NJ was running 7-8K of users for ERP and BI on high end SUN Servers with Oracle with only one ot two SAPGUI users (ABAP development) and where rather happy with there conclusions. They acdded complexity but at the server level not at the distributing desktop level. They mentioned to scale with performance they had some applications servers with ECC ERP, EP, BI, and NetWeaver mix.

I hope this was useful, when I went to internal training at Sun Microsystems with SAP on site it was unclear iniatialy where they where going with NetWeaver. Look at it this was ECC ERP, BI, NetWeaver, SCM, SRM, CRM all have there own database and supporting system landscape. I distributed architecture within centralized system landscapes. The reason, for tactical advantage the way you tune for ERP transactions for sub second response times at the OS and database level is in direct conflict with how you tune for batch moved to BI from ERP, and long running quiries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member204677
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rod,

the NWBC will and can never replace the SAP GUI for Windows as these are two very different clients.

SAP GUI for Windows is to display classics SAPu2019s transactions (dynpros) and NWBC is to display Web dynpros.

What might lead to this misunderstanding is, that the SAP GUI for Windows can run inplace in NWBC. But this is of course no replacement...

Kind regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

Are you 100% sure about these? That SAP will never replace the actual SAP Gui with the new NWBC?

We installed the NWBC and you can run all the classical ABAP transaction + the Dynpros.

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza