cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Transcation Lead The 'Max. CPU load' Reached 100%?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I've received our EWA report on Sep. 5.

It told me the CPU index 'Max. CPU load [%]' once reached '100%' on Aug. 27.

I want to find out which transcation lead the index to '100%' on that day.

But I still cant' find it out after using OS07/ST06/STO3N/ST06N.

Do you have any good idea for me?

Thank you very much!

Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use transaction code OS07n. And Clich CPU under History. It will show you complete CPU usage details.

Best of luch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello PRATAP KUMAR BOSE

Thank you very much. Sorry for delay.

The menu path:' os07n->History All->CPU--->2009.08.27'

I saw the max value of 'CPU_Utilizaiont(%)' is 11% in the whole day of Aug. 27.

It still can't explain the 'Max. CPU load [%]' reached '100%' on Aug. 27.

Regards

Jason

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

tRY WITH ST04

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello experts,

we have scm 5.0 system [ci+db] on IBM p570 hardware, aix 5.3 platform.

we can get the total cpu times and avg cpu times for top 40 transactions/reports in 'transaction profile' and CPU times per dialogue step in 'ranking lists -> top response times of a dialog stop' under Analysis View of EXPERT MODE of ST04n.

In ST06n, we get the percentage of cpU utilization [idle true %, system utilization %, user utilization %]

Now how to complement these percentage of cpU utilization to the total cpu times and avg cpu times.

How to convert these times [total cpu times and avg cpu times] in to percentages?

And how to draw a graph OR pie-chart of individual transactions/reports cpu utilization?

Please suggest.

Thanks and regards,

Shyamsundar g C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujoy,

Small correction: Top CPU time transactions list you could see in ST03N transaction not in ST04

As you have AIX with P5 CPU type then we need to check wether it's a Dynamic LPAR or static one with SMT mode. (LPAR: loigical partitioning of CPU cores where the CPU will be assigned dynamically across the instances as per the system requirement SMT: Multi Threading)

And in case of dynamic LPAR you need to monitor ST06N data not the old ST06 collector.

For this you need to grant the pool utilization authority (to be set in HMC). We observed that the CPU)

In case of CPUrequirement exceeded the entitlement (Entitlement Consumed more than 100%), the availability of additional CPU resources (more than the entitlement) depends on the free physicalCPUs available in the shared pool. Any CPU bottleneck at the shared pool could impact the performance of the application running on the LPAR, if the requirement exceeds entitlement. To monitor the resource usage at the shared pool from this LPAR, Pool Utilization Authority must be granted for this LPAR in the Hardware management Console.

Please provide your input on this then i will help you regarding the other half of your questions.

Thank you,

Tilak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Here below is SAP's reply. Just For your information. Thank you again for your help.

==============================================================================

Hello Jason

We found that you using power5 CPU on AIX server with CPU dynamic allocation.

The CPU statistics of SPLPARs are not reliable within SAP standard monitors. You can not believe the current CPU utilizaiton check in EWA report. IBM and SAP developed CCMS transactions for monitoring those environments. It is recommended to use your Solution Manager system

(central monitoring system) for monitoring those environments. Please refer to the following SAP Notes and consider activating CCMS monitoringfor your SPLPAR environment:

SAP Note Number Description

994025 Virtualized OS environments in the operating system Monitor

1019567 (1) Corrections for new operating system monitor

1134779 (2) corrections new operating system monitor

1147500 (3) corrections new operating system monitor

1147334 CPH activation of OS data for SAP Remote Services

Install the latest version according to SAP Note 19227 - ?°Get the

latest saposcol?± on all your servers and activate CCMS monitoring.

Last Please Monitoring for SPLPARs is fully available if ?°Pool

utilization authority?± is granted. The PUA can be set individually for

each SPLPAR.

In case of problems regarding set up the new hardware utiization

monitor, you can open a problem message on component BC-CCM-MON for

further help.

Best Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

ST06-ST06N-OS07 do not provide transaction statistics so they are of no use here.

In ST03 you may have a chance of locating the exact transaction as follows:

- Select the server and open the period containing Aug 27 (probably no longer in the daily statistics, but hopefully in the weekly aggregates and certainly in the monthly ones)

- Under Analysis Views" expand Ranking Lists -> Top Response Time of Dialog Steps

- Look for dialog steps of Aug 27 with an extreme CPU time

Only the top-40 dialog steps of the selected period are kept, so this assumes that the event was quite extreme.

I also recommend that you look at the transaction stats (under Analysis View > Transaction Profile) and identify transactions with high average CPU time. In the long run this is a more meaningful exercise than looking for a possibly one-off overload situation.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

I'm very grateful to you for your help.

The method you told me is very useful. But I think I met a bug of SAP.

I met a runtime error like below (st22):

Runtime Errors: BCD_OVERFLOW

Exception: CX_SY_CONVERSION_OVERFLOW

Short text: Overflow during an arithmetic operation (type P) in program "SAPWL_ST03N".

I think I have to create a message and tell SAP this error.

Regards!

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jason,

Runtime Errors: BCD_OVERFLOW
 Exception: CX_SY_CONVERSION_OVERFLOW
 Short text: Overflow during an arithmetic operation (type P) in program "SAPWL_ST03N".

Have a look at note 1384846, which may give you a fix.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try out ST03N-> Expert Mode-> Select the day- > Analysis views-> Transaction profile

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have IBM with P5 CPU with dynamic LPAR then dont be worried by the high CPU utilisation for the server because i have seen it rated the H/W section to RED because it takes the data from ST06 in stead of ST06N.

To see the transaction which might have caused high CPU time, however you could check the ST06-->Detail Analysis Menu --> Top CPU to see the instanstaneous Top CPU program/transaction.

Thank you,

Tilak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manoj Chintawar

I have try the method you posted here. It worked well.

I can find some indexes about CPU utilization.

But it still can't explain the 'Max. CPU load [%]' reached '100%' on Aug. 27.

Regards!

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tilak,

We have four servers. They are all IBM P560(32GB Memo and 12 CPUs). We delopyed one CI and 3 DI as PRD system.

I think your explanation is right. I will send a message for SAP's confirm.

Regards!

Jason