cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing Universe on a Bex (SAP BI) Query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement to build a Universe to extract BI data into BO and then create WebI reports on it. The two possibilities I see here are building the Universe on the Multi provider or directly on the queries. Which one would be a better approach?

Say, If I choose to build the universe on the query, will the characteristics and key figures in the rows and columns, free characteristics of the query become objects in the Universe. What will happen to the variables in the query, do I need to create them again in the universe or the WebI level.

Thanks

Rashmi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is recommended to design the universe on top of BEx queries as they offer better flexibity...

also you can use RKFs, CKFs and variables too...when designing the universe on top of the Queries.

The variables will appear as predefined condition (Prompts) in the BO universe. You do not have to recreate them.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Rohit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies. I created a universe on a sales which has fiscal period in the rows and sales revenue in the column. On the top of the universe i created a WEBI report and compared the BEx and the WEBI reports and both matched. After that I created a restriction of Fiscal Period = '004.2003' in the Bex report.

While the Bex report shows the revenue numbers only for that period, WebI report showed the same old values ( for all period). How do the restrictions work between BEx and BO. Is is not enough if i restrict data the Bex level itself, do I need to do anything additional at the universe or the WEBI level again.

Thanks

Rashmi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

Have you refreshed your universe after updating the BW query?

Universe needs to be refreshed each time you made some changes in the underline BW query.

Also, you can create variables in BW. The variables in BW will be created as Prompts(asks for user response at run time) in the BO which acts as filter(restricts data) while refreshing the data in BO.

Regards,

Rohit

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the recommendation is clearly to build the Universe on top of the BW query.

see here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/008d15dc-f76c-2b10-968a-fafe5a12...

Ingo