Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same plant name in two R/3 systems

nitin_thatte
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a scenario where I have 2 R/3 systems connected to one SCM system. Both systems have plant 1000.

How should I define a distribution definition for publication of planning results?

Does the system automatically understand the relevent transactions and sends those to appropriate system?

Regards,

Nitin Thatte

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitin,

I agree with Dogboy49. generally whenever tehre is a "clash" of nomenclature..something quite evident in a multi system environment...the sensible thing is always to use Business System groups along with the user exit to manipulate the nomenclature. In your case you would require 2 BSGs. Post taht you can make the publication settings as you would normally do as you would see 2 different plants at APO side.

The advantage beng that you are secure even if such a situatrion arises in the future. So I guess the resource investment may be justified.

Regards,

Abhi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Having same plant name in two R/3 systems but planning with single APO

system is a problematic approach. Both systems will be attached to

active model of APO.

If you need same nomenclature, both R/3 systems has to be attached to

different business system groups in APO. That is very mandatory. But

that has to be handled with care as chances of inconsistency and

overlapping of queues may occur.

The best approach is as you yourself has suggested, having prefix

or suffix to differentiate it.

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nithin,

When two R/3 systems connect to a single APO system and if they happen to be in a single BSG ,you have to use the user exits for Prefixing.

If not it would be a big problem to differentaite them in APO and most of the results will fail.

For this you have couple of options:

1) Using the exits in R/3 side.

2) Using the exits it in APO side.

We had a similar situation and we preferred in the R/3 side wherein the masters will be automatically prefixed and the same logic counteracted in the BI cubes also.

For publication also you have the same options available.

You can take a look at the exit APOCF005 which will provide you a brief overveiw.

You also can see the exits EXIT_/SAPAPO?SAPLCIF_G_FO_001.....007.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Karthick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Two Plants with same in different R/3 system is not a SAP Practive.

Only one plant name/customer/vendor/etc.... is possible if the systems are connected.

You can use same name only if you have separte system. Once integrated with APO or any other system say CRM/SRM then deadlock situation will occur and is not SAP standard pracice.

The best example is: you R/3 sandbox and R/3 Production server can't be conncted to same APO production/sandbox server.

Hope you will be clear on this now.

Regards,

Santosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nitin,

It kind of depends on what this plant represents in the two R/3 systems.

If they are two different physical plants, which happen to have the same name, and they both must appear in APO, you then need to give them different names in APO. One intuitive way is to pad one of the plant names in APO with some kind of prefix. This can be accomplished with userexits. If, however, they represent the SAME physical plant, then this is different. It is generally undesirable to have two different R/3 systems ask a single APO system to plan the same plant.

APO does not like to have two locations with the same name, even if they originate in different Business System Groups (your two R/3 systems). If you attempt to CIF across data from R/3, much of it will fail for one of the R/3 systems. As you suspect, publishing APO data would also be problematic.

Anything is possible if you are willing to throw enough resources at it, using userexits and custom programming. However, my recommendation would be, for this plant, is to select one of the R/3 systems to be the 'master' R/3 system, and to have only the master R/3 system 'talk' to APO about this plant. Any data that the master R/3 system needs, that exists in the 'other' r/3 system, should be obtained by the master R/3 system directly from the other R/3 system (IDOCs, perhaps). I do not recommend that you allow two R/3 systems talk to one apo system about the same plant.

Rgds,

DB49

nitin_thatte
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am referring to two physical plants with same nomenclature in two different systems.

So as I suspected there will be problems.

Solution seems to be having suffixes/prefixes attached through User exits but I man not sure whether it will take the correct plant name when we CIF all transaction data. I mean whether user exits can be activated for all object types of transaction data.

Also not sure whether it will pick the plant correctly while publishing planning results.

Thanks for replies