Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating SAP profiles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was trying to assign standard SAP profiles in the profiles tab in SU01 and get a pop up saying the profile does not exist or is not activated. I was able to do the assignment in a different client. Is this a issue with the client copy or do we need to do any activation. If so how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any reason why you are using profiles and not roles?

If a profile doesn't exist then you have to create it.

If the profile exists but is not activated then you need to activate it via SU02.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any reason why you are using profiles and not roles?

If a profile doesn't exist then you have to create it.

If the profile exists but is not activated then you need to activate it via SU02.

0 Kudos

Hey Alex,

Thanks for a quick response. These are SAP standard profiles. They are used in communication IDs where Solution manager is connected to different systems in the landscape and installation guide sys to assign these profiles. Can you elaborate on activating in Su02 as when i select a profile and select the activate only check box and hit the create work area for profiles button i get nothing in the next screen. I was able to do it in other client/systems. This is the first client i have such a issue. Is this something to do with the way BASIS client copied it?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Generally even for SolMan I would be tempted to create roles which contain the auths but that is a different topic.

From what you are saying, I think it is very likely that the basis team have not done a full copy, hence you don't have these profiles in place. There could eb a few reasons for this but only they will know why.

It's been a while since I have worked with profiles but I think you have a couple of options

1. Create a TR containing the missing profiles in a "known good" system and then import into this new client.

2. Create a role in a "known good" system and import the authorisations from the profile/s into that role. You can then use the download/upload functionality to move the role between the systems and give the correct auths.

Hope that is of use.

0 Kudos

Alex,

What do you mean by TR. Also, I have never imported a profile into a role. Please xplain how to achieve this.

Thanks

0 Kudos

> What do you mean by TR.

My guess is transport request.

> Also, I have never imported a profile into a role. Please xplain how to achieve this.

Just build a role without transactions, go straight to the profile tab, go into the profile, do not choose a template, go to the following menu path:edit -> insert authorizatins -> from profile.

0 Kudos

thnks guys. Will talk to Basis and thnkas for letting me know how to create a role with profile.

0 Kudos

There are couple of steps to take to have a profile activated...pls proceed as follows:

Tcode su02, enter the profile name ( or search through drop down if you cant remember the name), and click Generate Work Area right under profile:Initial Screen, that takes you to a screen area called Profile List. There you will see a christmas light(we call it Bisco back home), and just click it like you lighting a stick.

Step 2: Go to SU01. On the Profile tab enter the profile name and save. Alternatively, you could go to PFCG, create a new role, click on the authorization tab, ignore the pop up "create from template" and click Edit at the menu, then insert authorization from Profile, enter the profile name and maintain the authorization. Since the user type that will have this profile assigned is not dialogue, I would advice that you assign full authorization to the role, save it and generate.

That should fix your issue.