cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License costs and optimizer on MaxDB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dears,

we are evaluating the advantages to migrate a little Sap environment from Oracle to MaxDB, and I have two questions :

1) About the Iicensing, I know MaxDB is more cheaper , compared to Oracle in terms of Sap licenses. But the question is how much is cheaper ?

For example, suppose a customer with 100 Sap "Full Professional Users", on Oracle.How much money could be saved using MaxDB , at least approximatively ?

2) Actually the Sap system based on Oracle , the one I'm evaluating to move on MaxDB, is connected via DBlink to an external system, very critical for the businnes.

We experimented in the past a lot of troubles doing the oracle upgrade of the Sap system, as we discovered that external system was not able to extract data from Sap if we change the optimizer mode from "rule based" to "use CBO".

It's not clear why , we just know the select statements the external system was running on the Sap database remain in hang, if we change the optimizer mode.

In order to prevent this problem, I'm asking if with MaxDb if if possibile to create someting like the DBlink of Oracle, and wich kind of "optimizer" the MaxDB used as Sap database uses.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

since I'm no sales guy I cannot give you precise numbers here.

Maybe you want to see your sales representative for that.

> 2) Actually the Sap system based on Oracle , the one I'm evaluating to move on MaxDB, is connected via DBlink to an external system, very critical for the businnes.

> We experimented in the past a lot of troubles doing the oracle upgrade of the Sap system, as we discovered that external system was not able to extract data from Sap if we change the optimizer mode from "rule based" to "use CBO".

> It's not clear why , we just know the select statements the external system was running on the Sap database remain in hang, if we change the optimizer mode.

> In order to prevent this problem, I'm asking if with MaxDb if if possibile to create someting like the DBlink of Oracle, and wich kind of "optimizer" the MaxDB used as Sap database uses.

Ok, MaxDB does not offer a DBLINK feature.

Anyhow, you can still access Oracle (or other supported DBMS) via secondary database connections (DBCONS).

If you're still running anything with RBO - then you're really in deep trouble since this had been desupported for years now.

MaxDB never had a RBO - always a CBO. But this won't have any impact on the way the data is handled in another database.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the feedback