cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe, Crystal Report and WebI

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi There

i have a WebI report always fails due to transaction error even i didnot use "limit execution time" ( i didnot check that box, so i guess no limits on this option), then i create a CR report with same universe, i have no issue to get this report, it seems WebI takes more time to extract the data

can some one advise how i can fix this issue? i need WebI because it gives me multiple tab in an excel sheet

thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

basically, WebI is much slower than Crystal Report, same query/same universe, CR is much reliable and fast

just because i want to export a report to different tab in a excel for different date, WebI is more easy to do this, but connectiontime really sucks

Why CR cannot export the report to multi-tab in a excel by page or by group? will this function be available in the next version or update?

Former Member
0 Kudos

no, i dont think it is about permission

as before i changed the query, everything is ok with this WebI, however after i changed the query to pull the data from another table which is big and slow, the job failed(most of time, sometimes, it can run successfully), i think it is about connection timeout setting, but i already change the query limits in the universe, but why it didnot work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, thanks for clarifying. We too suffer from "unwanted timeouts", e.g. we can run a report from a smaller, less populated table and the report finishes fine, however, running a report from a larger table, and if the run takes more than 2 minutes, we get a message that the server has disconnected and the report does not appear. If we wait a while, like about three or four minutes and try again, we may get the report. What is happening is that there is type of web proxy server in the network that waits for two minutes and if the web server does not get a response from the database server, then the proxy server intervenes and severs the connection. Meanwhile, the database server continues the data run. If we wait a few more minutes manually, and "break out" from the Webi session and re-navigate the folders, and run the report again, it will work. What happens is that the database server finishes the run and caches the information. If we can catch the database server before new cache appears, then the database server again forks the data over to the web server, and the Web Intelligence server, now having the data, produces the report as if there was no hard work involved. I have used BusinessObjects for nearly three years now working under these conditions and no one in the network shop will confess which proxy server is doing the bad work and how to extend the time to at least five minutes versus two. We have tried all concievable settings on the Business Objects servers but to no avail, the two minute timeout (we call it the two-minute drill) persists.

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tara,

always fails due to transaction error

Can you explain a little more detail, like is the table locked due to other updates occuring, or what? Also, verify if the DSN supporting the Crystal process is of the same user of the WebI, maybe there is a permissions thing going on causing the problem....

Thanks,

John