cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LocalDevelopment to JDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have developed a web dynpro DC as local development object. Now we are planning to bring in the NWDI inplace. My question is how can i use this local development object in NWDI? Do i need to chnage anything or atleast will this work in NWDI?

Please suggest.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aditya,

Kindly refer the step-by-step procedure mentioned in the following links for migrating local WD Projects to JDI.

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/9e/1c200ac164cf4a942f2dacdf3359e9/content.htm">Migrating Local Web Dynpro Projects</a>

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/42/c8204dd57f136fe10000000a1553f7/content.htm">Migrating Local Web Dynpro Projects to the NWDI</a>

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies.

These documents are speaking about converting a "WebDynpro" project into a DC.

My quesiton is i have created a "LocalDevelopment" Webdynpro DC using New->Development Component Project-> WebDynpro. When i did that, the Local Development Check box is implicitly checked and greyed out.

LocalDevelopment<CompName><vendor.com>

The section "Creating a Development Component Project of the Type Web Dynpro" In the link sent by you says "From the context menu for the software component, choose Create New DC". Since i have not created my DC in this way (i.e., from a Software component) i am wondering if i will be able to use it in NWDI

and perform all the transportations across the lanscape.

Pls suggest.

Message was edited by: Aditya Atluri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

It will be indeed tranportable.

The Software Component etc come into picture only in the last stage of JDI, i.e after checking-in, activating and releasing DCs.

SC as such doesnt play any role in a local DC.

Regards

MK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

I don't think they understand your question!!

I've not tried to move a local development DC to a transportable DC but don't see why it wouldn't work... Have you tried to create a new DC against the correct SC on your JDI and then followed a similar process as linked to above of moving a Web Dynpro project to a DC to move all of your source files? I'm not sure if it would work but it is worth a try.

Otherwise you will be stuck with a local development DC that can't go anywhere as you won't be able to check it in or release it. Instead you would have to deploy it manually to your different systems.

It's similar in principal to creating a local object ABAP program and then changing it to a proper development package so you can transport it.

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gareth,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply. Actually i was busy with some other work and hence couldn't get a chance to do this. I still need to do this.

You got it right. I have converted my ordinary webdynpro project into a LocalDevelopmentabcmycompany.com development component. Now, i want to know how to source safe this localdevelopment DC with JDI.

I am very disappointed to hear that i am stuck with my LocalDevelopment that can't go anywhere. I thought the document "Migrating Local Web Dynpro Projects to the NWDI" given under http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/42/c8204dd57f136fe10000000a1553f7/content.htm will help me in achieving this.

The setting up of JDI is still going on at our place and hence i couldn't try the process of creating a new DC under the SC and then copying my source files to the new DC. Before that i am worried what if it doesn't work.

If any one has JDI, could you please try the same and let me know ASAP?

Do we need to plan well in advance before the development of projects to use JDI? In my case, since we have not planned, dont we have any option of moving our projects to JDI? In suchcase, where do i save my source?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you say, all of the documentation for moving local to JDI only really describes how to move complete applications from a local WD project to a JDI DC WD project.

I guess you could prove it another way... Try creating a new LocalDevelopment WD DC and copy the source of your other project across to see if it works. If so, I'd guess you should be able to do the same but to a JDI DC - the only extra steps being to create an activity and then add all the files to it.

Good luck

Gareth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gareth,

I am actually new to JDI. Now we have installed JDI. Could you please share with me a real quick the details as to what to do from now on.

Please help.

My requirement is to be able to check-in and check-out the files just for source safing the project and then deploy the applications using JDI instead of manually doing it. No team developemnt or anything.

Message was edited by: Aditya Atluri

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aditya,

I feel that doesn't matters much and you won't have any problem in running that thing locally.

Guru.

PS: rewad points for helpfull answers.