cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update all mapped fields - how about those lookups?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm confused when using the import manager.

I have an MDM target field which is a lookup field, say filed "TargetSystem". And the record I want to update has an existing value TargetSystem = ECC.

Then I use the import manager to update this field. In the source xml data file, the TargetSystem has no value in it. I use "update all mapped fields" as the import action. After execution, I find the field still has value of ECC.

Is this correct? - My understanding is, when I use update all mapped fields, all types of fields that are mapped should be udpated with the source value, so the TargetSystem should be updated with a NULL value.

Thank you!!

Angela Zhang

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angela,

basically you're right. But NULL values are kind of special values in Import Manager. You should check how your import map handles NULLs. There are different options like "preserve" (would update the values in MDM) or "ignore" NULLs. The general NULL handling is defined in the map's configuration options (see top menu bar). Neverthless you can define the NULL handling for each field independently, too (right-click on the destination field and choose NULL handling from the context menu).

So how are the settings for your import map?

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for your reply!

The import map I'm using has below NULL related settings:

- default flat NULL handling: preserve NULLs

- default Null interpretation: ignore NULLs.

- the target field setting: inherit default.

So I guess this is why the field is not update - and I can either change the default null setting or target field setting to overwrite - I'll take a test.

Thanks again!

Angela

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ANgela

In the import manager in configuration options we have an option of Default Flat NULL handling. Seems in your case it is set to IGNORE NULLS.

Please make the changes and this will work as desired.

This can be also controlled at field level, right click on the detination field mapped and select the replace nulls option.

best regards

Ravi