cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP 4.7 * 200 SR1 installation of HP-UX/Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I am in the middle of SAP 4.7x200 SR1 installation on HP-UX 11.31 (IA) platform with Oracle 9.2 as database.

The CI/DB are going to be hosted on the same server with vPAR on it. I am doing the installation on the virtual host level.

I am struck with Central Instance Installation (first installation step). Please note the sapinst is for 620/640 WAS and basically is the same used for Netweaver 04.

Now the reason I am stuck is as follows:

We plan to host all our oracle filesystems except /oracle/client on the virtual host level within the workload.

So ORACLE_HOME instead of standard SAP value of /oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 is /<variable1>/<variable2-actually the vPAR name>/<DBSID>/920_64. As such we have not created and mounted /oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 .

Now while the CI instance doesn't ask for ORACLE_HOME path as it does in case of say ECC 6.0 it gets stuck coz it can't find oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 . Infact while inputting the values for CI instance a screen appears which clearly asks us to make sure that : oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 is exisitng and when we actually starts the installation it gets stuck on the step "Setting environment for ora<dbsid> user."

So first and foremost question is whether 4.7 installation can be done in this way where ORACLED_BASE,ORACLE_HOME file systems are with in a vPAR workload. 4.7 is pretty much an old technology and may be it doesnot go with this requirement !

And if so what are the possibilities. One of the possibilities may be having a soft link but it may not be good idea because of failover set up.

I have tried starting the installation with setting up environment values as well but it is of no help.

With Regards.

Ruchit Khushu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now while the CI instance doesn't ask for ORACLE_HOME path as it does in case of say ECC 6.0 it gets stuck coz it can't find oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 . Infact while inputting the values for CI instance a screen appears which clearly asks us to make sure that : oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 is exisitng and when we actually starts the installation it gets stuck on the step "Setting environment for ora<dbsid> user."

Gettings stuck - or do you get an error?

> And if so what are the possibilities. One of the possibilities may be having a soft link but it may not be good idea because of failover set up.

I would do the installation with the soft link and later change the environment variables accordingly.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Actually getting an error : /oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 not found in the second step of CI installation in which it is trying to set up the environment of oracle user.

May be I will go with a soft link option.

Of course the final plan is to use Oracle 10.20.0.4. We need to have an inital build with oracle 9.2 for unix level binaries and then upgrade to Oracle 10.2.0.4 immediately.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

Regards.

Ruchit.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Actually getting an error : /oracle/<DBSID>/920_64 not found in the second step of CI installation in which it is trying to set up the environment of oracle user.

Ok...

If you are disposed to start "fiddling" a bit, you can try to modify the keydb.xml (and/or control.xml) so that these hardcoded PATHs are no more checked. I can't give you any exact places but it should be feasible.

> May be I will go with a soft link option.

That'd be the easiest solution IMHO.

> Of course the final plan is to use Oracle 10.20.0.4. We need to have an inital build with oracle 9.2 for unix level binaries and then upgrade to Oracle 10.2.0.4 immediately.

You can, if you use the newest installation master, directly install with Oracle 10.2.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am in the middle of SAP 4.7x200 SR1 installation on HP-UX 11.31 (IA) platform with Oracle 9.2 as database.

And btw:

Both SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.72 and Oracle 9.2 are already out of support.

Any special reason why you don't use Oracle 10?

Markus