Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outer Join in Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are on XI3.1.

I added an outer join on tableB and set both of the universe parameters OUTERJOINS_GENERATION and ANSI92 to yes. But I am not getting what I expect. The following are the example of the records on the tables.

TableA

20090701 123 A

20090702 456 B

20090703 444 C

20090704 333 D

20090705 222 A

TableB

20090703 test1 test2

20090705 test1 test2

Result I would like to see:

20090703 test1 test2

20090705 test1 test2

Result I am getting with the setup mentioned above

20090703 test1 test2

20090705 test1 test2

Could you please let me know if the universe can support what I need. If yes, how I can set the universe up?

Thanks.

Fan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the back end database you are using. If it is Db2 like that then you have to some config settings. When I was working in BOXI R2 I also faced same problem. You try to go to C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86\dataAccess\connectionServer in that check the PRM file for your database and check whether outer join is enabled or disabled for you.

Please ignore this if not useful.

Cheers,

Suresh Aluri.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fan,

I added an outer join on tableB

What steps did you perform for this?

Can you generate the SQL and post it here?

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried a couple other things since the post.

I added another outer join to Tbl3 which is a security view. I think the security view might be preventing the outer join from working. The outer joins looks like below:

Tbl1 = tbl2

tbl2 = tbl3(+)

The following is the sql when OUTERJOINS_GENERATION = 'Yes' is not added to the universe parameter list.

SELECT

ENTERED_DATE.DATE_DIM_ID,

max(DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_NATIONAL_ACCOUNT),

sum(DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.UPC_COUNT)

FROM

DATA_WAREHOUSE2.DATE_DIM ENTERED_DATE,

DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW,

DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY

WHERE

( DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.USERID=@variable('BOUSER') )

AND ( DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.CLIENT_DIM_ID=DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID(+) )

AND ( ENTERED_DATE.DATE_DIM_ID=DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.ENTERED_DATE_DIM_ID(+) )

AND (

ENTERED_DATE.DATE_DIM_ID >= 20090701

AND DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID = 12

)

GROUP BY

DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID

The following is the sql when the OUTERJOINS_GENERATION = 'Yes' and ANSI92 = 'Yes' are set in the universe parameter.

SELECT

max(DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_NATIONAL_ACCOUNT),

sum(DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.UPC_COUNT)

FROM

DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW RIGHT OUTER JOIN DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY ON (DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.USERID=@variable('BOUSER') AND DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.CLIENT_DIM_ID=DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID)

RIGHT OUTER JOIN DATA_WAREHOUSE2.DATE_DIM ENTERED_DATE ON (ENTERED_DATE.DATE_DIM_ID=DATA_WAREHOUSE2.VALID_REGISTRATION_DAILY.ENTERED_DATE_DIM_ID)

WHERE

(

ENTERED_DATE.DATE_DIM_ID >= 20090701

AND DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID = 12

)

GROUP BY

DATA_WAREHOUSE.CLIENT_DIM_SECURED_VW.CLIENT_DIM_ID

Neither of the sqls gives me what I would like to have. I can not remove the security view since it will return everything on tbl3 which is not what I want. I wonder if the universe designer supports union function.

Thanks.

Fan