Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abap+Java System Backup

former_member633852
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We just take our bi system(abap+java) backup online, so could you please help me which files we need to backup during the Sap system is online,

As the below help.sap.com link said that for filesystem backup "Create a backup of the SAP system directory /usr/sap/<SID>." (before we need to stop SDM)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/content.htm

Can we backup entire /usr/sap/<SID> directory while sap and db is still runnig ? if not which directories we need to backup ?

Should we backup filesystem and db backup at the same time for a consistent backup, or can we schedule separately filesystem and db backup if there is no deployment exist between db backup and filesystem backup schedules,

Best Regards,

Atakan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Take a online backup ( plus redologs) for your system as usual. This will contain database backup.

For file system you can use SAPINST to take an central instance export

Choose SAP Netweaver 2004s support release 1/(or2)-> Additional Software Life-Cycle Tasks-> System Copy->Oracle( if your database is oracle)->Source System-> Distributed System( if you are using central system then choose central system) -> Based on AS ABAP and Java -> Central Instance Export.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As suggested you can either go with the ofline backup for the abap and for Java you need to have the filesystem backup.

Or you should go witht he file system backup of all the file system.But for that you need downtime.

So what i shall suggest you thet go vith the online backup and have the archive log on and have archive logs backup too.

And just the online backup completes have the Java export of the Java system of your BI.Durng the exportthe SDM will stop while the Servernode and the dispatcher service will be running,so no error will occur when some one is using the JAVA BI.

This is the safest method ad you can recover the JAVA system any time.Please also have an offline backup at weekends of the abap system when its down.

Please check the Password of DDIC of client 000 and the J2ee_admin before taking the export.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member633852
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Thanks for your recommendations, in this case we could not get downtime for this system , so we have to schedule backups online,

Java export will be fine but i dont know there is a way to schedule exporting,

Our system is Oracle on Aix, backup software is tivoli, we can take filesystem backup using os scripts, but i am not sure it will be a consistent backup, what are the restrictions for consistent backup of Java system, which files i need to backup ? Can i backup whole /usr/sap/<SID> directory during system is online ?

I couldn't find any backup& recovery documents,sceniros for online ABAP+JAVA backup, could you please share your experience,

Best Regards,

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For database you can always take online+Redo log backup from DB13.

For file system backup we generally take export..system can be onlne that time..I guess we take export when we do refresh ( and there by change in SID). Like from PRD to QAS.

So, just to recover the same system from its last backup i guess file system backup should do and perhaps SAP will allow you to copy those directories online. You can just check it by running a copy. But, if you are copying production to quality, you need an export.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

This is a very good thread and we are having the same questions/issues and finding very little information on a proper and supported strategy. Have you ever found out how to 'schedule' the online export of the JAVA stack using sapinst? From what I am hearing, this 'should' be 'good enough' for recovery? I am getting the impression the OS level does not have to be exactly in-synch with the database (but the closer the better). The issue is still how to get a consistent backup at the os level online and automated? We currently use Tivoli and do daily incremental backups of the filesystem, however, there is nothing that manages this (as with a database manager) to insure the backup is consistent. And we also cannot afford weekly downtime.

Thank you,

Mike Boyer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Atakan

The backup solution will depend on OS and DB which are used in your company!

There are different types of backup solutions are exist like veritas, data protector and tivoli which need to be configure on system with different agent, like SAP, DB and File System Agent. The following agent will taken online backup of boot system + configuation + existing Os drives , SAP/usr and DB configured without downtime of system!

Regards

Anwer Waseem

SAP NetWeaver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you need to take filesystem backup for your emergency situation in case of system crash etc. for taking file system, you down sap and need to file system backup.

you can opt same procedure for online backup for ABAP+JAVA system same as the online backup of ABAP system .

you need to take daily online backup and offline backup in weekend.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidaydhar K