SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens when archiving is done with any document

former_member199650
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Could you please guide me about: What happens with the documents when archiving is done for some documents.

1. Do their location gets changed?

2. Do just only the status of the document gets changed and

Please guide me with a descriptive information.

Thanks and Regards

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

when documents are archived they are deletd from database and stored in the archive files.so never archive files which the system may need coz it wont be able to find it in the database.

1. yes there location gets changed from db to archive files.

2. yes the status of the document also changes if you view it from the archive because once you archive you cannot see it in the system through the normal transactions

SAP has a standard tool for archiving which it uses in many places 'archive dev. kit'

kindly have a look into this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_utilities472/helpdata/en/97/276c359513cf41e10000009b38f839/frameset.htm

hope this helps.

cheers,

Rakesh..

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply please.

But i am able to see a billing document which falls in the archiving period in erch table.

Please guide.

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos

hi

this should not be possible ,are u sure that the archiving was successful.

usually we follow some specific steps

1. archive first the print document first and then the billing document

2. the document must be 2 years old,so if i create one today i manualy chnage the document date to 2 years back in the db

3. archive the line items first and then the header items.

the archiving for billing docs (i mean the status of doc archive) can be checked in table 'ercharc'

table 'erch' doesnt have any field for archive due to consistency etc etc.

i usually use reports to execute archiving so I have no clues regarding the steps to be followed with the transaction SARA*..

hope this helps.

cheers,

Rakesh..

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your response please.

1. In table ERCHARC, I am not getting any record. Please suggest.

2. We do not do the archiving explicitly. No. of days are defined for archiving for different document types.

If any document falls in the defined archiving period then it does not allows us to be modified.

We consider that document as an archived document. Please confirm me about my understanding about this described process.

I request you to please guide me, if the documents falls in the archiving period then can we consider them as archived documents or do we need to do some other activity for this?

Please guide.

Thanks and Regards

Edited by: MP Vashishth on Sep 2, 2009 1:17 PM

Edited by: MP Vashishth on Sep 2, 2009 1:19 PM

0 Kudos

hi

table ercharc will have the status of the archiving process(for billing docs) as the system proceeds with the step by step process of archiving i.e. first doucment lines are archived,then the header etc etc.

as it seems that the process of archiving in your case is done thr set variants so once the archiving date is passed

the document gets archived.

it may sumtime happen that fr sum billing docs the archiving fails,in such cases the billing doc will continue to exist in the table 'erch' and also the status at which the archiving stopped for it will be stored in table 'ercharc'.

three scenario in which it fails fr me generally is when

1. the doc is not too old.

2. there are no follow up billing docs,system will always make sure that there is atleast one billing docs existing in the system

for the particular installation.

3. all old billing docs have to be selected for archiving.

u can monitor archiving thr tran 'sara'.

cheers,

Rakesh..

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

MP:

You are required to define archiving retention periods. This timeframe defines when documents are eligible for archiving. YOu appear to be finding this period. Standard logic will not let you do anything to those docs after they are eligible. But the archiving is not done until you execute SARA for the various documents in the correct order (invoices, then bills then readings). At that point, after successful archiving, the documents are no longer on the database but instead are in an archive file.

regards,

bill.

former_member199650
Participant
0 Kudos

Please keep on sending your valuable replies.

As there is a limitation of no.of open question i am closing this request.

former_member199650
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please guide me how can we reverse any document which is not yet archived but falls in the archiving period. Is it possible to reverse the billing documents in which end of billing period date falls in the archiving period.

Please suggest: Can we change the Archiving Dates for billing doc header and line items. Is this recommended or is this a valid activity?

Please guide.

Thanks and Regards

Edited by: MP Vashishth on Oct 21, 2009 12:18 PM

former_member199650
Participant
0 Kudos

Please keep on sending your valuable replies. As there is limit of no. of open questions, i am closing this request.

Thanks for your guidance.

With Best Regards

MP Vashishth