cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use 2-D Barcodes symbology with smartforms (for example Maxicode)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can I use a new 2-D Barcodes symbology within Smartforms. For example Maxicode.

In my case I have to implement Barcode Labels for the carrier UPS (United Parcel Service). UPS needs the 2-D Barcode type called u201EMaxicodeu201C (Looks like a square with a bulls eye and honeycombs around). I use Smartforms and Lasersoft for printing.

When I try to create a System barcode within transaction SE73, I can choose only out of following Barcode Symbologies:

-Code 39

-Code 128

-Interleave 2of5

-PDF 417

-Code 93

Beside PDF 417, none of those Barcodes are 2-D barcodes.

Can you please tell me if there is a way to extend the SAP System with a new Barcode-Symbology like u201EMaxicodeu201C.

Further Information:

Also the SAPGOF Documentation and OSS-Note 645158 had no solution to my question.

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

First, i have never worked with lasersoft.

Second, i will not work out a solution in detail. I do this beside my work so i have no time for that.

But i am always willing to think about it andgave some tips/hints/advice etc.

Because i do not know lasersoft i do not know the possbilities of it. Maybe is what i say nonsens.

I think it is change that you have to sent a bitmap to let a barcode be printed. Or that you have to sent a barcode which lasersoft has to understand and change it into another barcode.

The possiblites of smartform are strongly limited on barcode level (only 5 can be imported as true type), so you have to find

other ways.

that's why the following.

Is it possible to sent to lasersoft a code which initiates lasersoft tp print the next value as a certain barcode.

Maybe you can do something with above suggestion i hope.

I cannot think of a another solution (also because i do not know lasersoft)

Gr., Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Lasersoft or not is not the question anymore.

I understood, that Smartforms itself has only the possibility for a few barcode-symbologies as CODE 39 or Code 128 or PRF 417, but not for Maxicode.

My workaround is to use an arbitrary barcode type for example "Code 128". I know it is not a 2-D barcode but this is O.K. for me.

But Maxicode is specified with several Parameters that have to be transfered as one string in Smar forms.

the string starts as mentioned above with:[(>.....

It contains characters, Digits but also non-printable signs as RS, GS and EOT.

How can I use those non-printable signs. please see the detailed description in my old message above.

thanks

Stefan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The most things of sap-script can also be used in smartforms.

I found something about hexadecimal in sap-script see below.

maybe you can use it. (use the old text editor)

Gr., Frank

HEX: Hexadecimal Data

This command sends printer commands in a printer language directly to a printer that supports that language. SAPscript does not interpret the data enclosed by the HEX and ENDHEX command pair, but inserts unchanged data into the output stream. This technique allows objects with a pixel-oriented format to be printed as part of a SAPscript text. The HEX and ENDHEX command pair enclose the printer commands and data as hexadecimal text, so that the printer formatting routines interpret each successive pair of characters as a single hexadecimal value in the 0..255 range.

The characters 0..9 and A..F to represent the values 10..15 are valid hexadecimal characters. The text may also include comment lines (these begin with /* in the format column), which will not be interpreted as hexadecimal data but are simply passed over by the formatting routines.

Syntax:

/: HEX [TYPE printer_language]

:

:

/: ENDHEX

HEX denotes the start of the hexadecimal data. Subsequent text lines are interpreted as described above. If the TYPE parameter is present, the data will be sent to the printer only if the printer understands the specified printer language. The following printer languages are currently supported:

 POST (Postscript)

 PRES (Kyocera Prescribe)

 PCL (HP Printer Control Language)

/: HEX [TYPE printer_language] [XPOS x_position] [YPOS y_position]

Before the hexadecimal data is output, the output cursor is set to the absolute position indicated by the specified X and Y position parameters. If either the X or the Y position is not specified, then 0 will be assumed for this parameter.

/: HEX [TYPE printer_language] [HEIGHT height] [LEFT left_indentation]

The HEIGHT parameter determines the amount of space to be reserved on the page for the output of the hexadecimal data. Any text after ENDHEX will be output below this point. If the LEFT parameter is also specified, then the output of the hexadecimal data will be indented from the left margin by the specified amount.

Example:

/* Creator: report ZQVNTE30 date 19940705 time 125129 user SAPSCRIPT

/= 1B2A7230461B2A743735521B2A7231411B2A62304D1B2A62343057FFFFFFFFFFFF

/= FF1B2A62343057FFFFFFFFFFFFC0007D00DFC0F7D0000000000000000000000017

/: ENDHEX

This data will be printed only by an HP PCL printer (7.5 cm of space will allocated on the page for the output of the data and the output cursor will be indented 2.25 cm to the right of the form window edge).

The RSTXLDMC program uploads correctly formatted pixel data to the R/3 system and prepares it as a HEX-ENDHEX control command. This data can then be saved as normal SAPscript text.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry for the layout of my answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

helpful. but i tested it. it works only in Sap script. Smartforms brings error: for invalid text-node.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also do not know to let SAP produce 2D barcodes (i hope you mean with this horizontalle and vertically barcode combined in 1 figure with all kind of small quares).

But i know there are some printers like zebra and CAB who have a terrible lot of different barcodes in itself.

You only have to take care to sent correct zebra (ZPL ) or CAB printercode to the printer. (can be done the most easy way with sapscript).

I have worked with both kind printers. It worked well.

Hope this helps

Gr., Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Is your external output management system (Lasersoft) able to read XSF (xml) data. In that case you can activate XSF output on the smartform and do the printing to a device with device type = XSF. Which will basically output the raw data as XML from the smart form. This data can then be formatted entirely in the external output system (OMS), including rendering the barcode based on the address information etc. This is possible in StreamServe at least, I don't know about Lasersoft, but it "could" be possible ...

The drawback is that you need to redo your layout design in the external system.

Another option is if your OMS can read numeric information from the SAPGOF data itself and translate that to a barcode. I don't see why you need the barcode already in SAP and why you don't generate it on-the-fly in the OMS based on the numeric info (but might be due to Lasersoft limitations?).

Regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I don't know if my OMS can deal with XML. I'will ask my OMS-colleague for this.

The option you mentioned in the lower part of your mail, I already use. The Barcode is printed in Lasersoft but for this Lasersoft needs the SAPGOF format. For example Lasersoft needs in SAPGOF the BC statement to know that now a Barcode is coming ... The BC statement in SAPGOF is created from SAP by using Barcode in Smart forms. II can also manipulate in Lasersoft but it would be much easier to send more adequate information from Smart forms.

But what I don't know jet is how to send the hex part mentioned above in my old mail via Smart forms.

thanks

Stefan