cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Data Guard for SAP EP7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to start the Oracle Data Guard configuration for SAP EP7.0. I need to know the procedure for restoring the primary server backup in standby server and mounting the standby database in standby mode.

If i use SAP system copy procedure, while importing in standby server, sapinst will open the database and bring the SAP system, but as we know, in DR site, we should not open the database and we need to mount the database in standby mode.

Please let me know the procedure for configuring data guard in SAP Java stack.

Regards,

Ranjith

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

Yes , in the both site Primary and Standby with the same hostname but differ IP address.

I have already installed a new instance SAP with (CI + DB) in DR site with SID, hostname and instance number the same as Primary site

How about must I config tnsname.ora and listener.ora ?

How about to set initialization parameters using u2018spfileu2019 (Primary & Standby) ?

Do I need to create standby controlfile (Pimary) ?

Please guide me

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

Is it possible to keep the hostname & SID same for primary and standby servers ?

I have a question for this issue as follows :

If my system is Central System with Sap Application and Database Oracle in the same server . In the DR site, please guide me what steps which I need to do ?

If my system is Distributed System with Sap Application and Database Oracle in the differ server. In the DR site, please guide me what steps which I need to do ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Activity has been completed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ranjith,

I have to configure Data Guard with oracle 10.2 and could you please share me the configuration document (rapidshare)

Looking forward to hear from you

Regards

Ashly Titus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashly,

You are configuring ODG for ABAP or Java stack?

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ranjith,

I have gone through the entire forum and found that you have successfully completed the setup of DR for both ABAP and Java stack.

I have same doubt regarding the Java stack setup and hope you can help me out.

I have the exact requirement to setup both for ABAP only system and ABAP + Java system using oracle dataguard services. It will be great if you can share the document to me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nalla.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nalla,

Document is organization confidential, so i'll not be able to share the document. Please let me know in which step you have doubts, i'll be glad to help you with this setup.

Let me know your questions, i'll get back to you.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kudos to you for getting the HA/standby setup. I have a few key questions if you don't mind answering:

a) You mentioned that you got ABAP and JAVA stack setting using data guard? How did you manage to do that?

b) Is your secondary/standby setup logical or physical? I understand SAP does not support logical standby?

c) You SID name and and database name for primary and secondary identical or different?

d) When you actually tested your configuration did you have to failover/switchover and failback/switchback?

I would appreciate any insight to these questions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjit,

You can use the following steps for configuring your disaster recovery infrastructure::

Step 1:: Take the backup of the primary DB. You can use the brbaackup utility for the taking the backup. Keep monitoring the backup status in backup log file in the /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup. Make sure to copy the log file to the host where the standby DB will be configured.

Step 2:: Restore the configured backup in the standby DB host.

Step 3:: Create a standby control file in the production server and copy it to the standby dB host. You can use the following command:: 'alter database create standby control file as '/<path name>/<filename.dbf>'. Make sure that you place the control file in the location as specified in the initialization parameter file.

Step 4:: Log in to sqlplus and first open the database in no mount mode. We need to do this to ensure that the DB can be mounted in standby db mode. This can be done using the following command :: 'alter database mount standby database'.

Step 5:: Next we need to manually recover the standby db. We do this using 'alter database recover automatic standby database'.

Step 6:: The last step is to ensure that automatic recovery is switched on. For this shutdown the db and restart it in standby mount state and then execute 'alter database recover mnaged standby database disconnect from session'.

Pre-requisites for the above steps are as follws::

1....The Oracle listener and Oracle Net configuration must be properly configured in both the primary and standby db hosts. You can refer to this link to obtain the the file samples :: http://www.sc.ehu.es/siwebso/KZCC/Oracle_10g_Documentacion/server.101/b10726/appconfig.htm.

2....The primary db must be configured in archive log mode.

Additionally, for maintaining the standby, Oracle provides Data Guard broker.

You can add the primary and standby db in the Data Guard broker using the following link::

http://stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/server.101/b10822/cli.htm#i1005666

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Indra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indra,

Thanks for your reply.

I already configured the ODG for SAP ABAP stack successfully and now i need the sequence of steps that needs to be followed for the SAP Java Stack. In SAP Java stack, we need to manually do some changes in configtool and for that we need the database to be opened.

In need to minimize the Production Server downtime during the DR Drill, so i need to know, if there is any best practices that needs to be followed for configuring ODG for SAP Java Stack.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tested the standby system setup for ABAPJAVA system and it worked fine. Now i am able to swicthover the primary server to DR site and start the ABAPJAVA stacks in DR site and swicthback to primary site from DR site.

For filesystem replication, we are using third party tool, so that any changes in \usr\sap\SID will be replicated to standby site with the help of third party tool.

I noted the time duration to perform the manual switchover and switchback and its takes around 90 mins to 120 mins, if no issues.

Thanks for everyone who have replied to my questions.

Regards,

Ranjith

Edited by: Ranjith Kumar D on Sep 16, 2009 2:16 PM

Parthis
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could it be possible for you to let me know the 3rd party tool you are using for filesystem replication?! Thanks!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjith,

the procedure is described in the oracle documentation:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/create_ps.htm#i63561

> If i use SAP system copy procedure, while importing in standby server, sapinst will open the database and bring the SAP system

This has absolutely nothing to do with a physical standby database ..

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

I already gone through the link which you have mentioned and i already configured the oracle data guard for SAP ECC6.0 (ABAP Stack) and its working fine without any issues.

For SAP EP7.0 (Java Stack), i need to know the steps for restoring the java stack in the standby server and mount the database in standby mode without opening the standby database in DR Site.

Regards,

Ranjith

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjith,

> For SAP EP7.0 (Java Stack), i need to know the steps for restoring the java stack in the standby server

Backup the file system .. Restore it on the standby server .. Change the hostname ..

> mount the database in standby mode without opening the standby database in DR Site.

Stop recovery and open it in READ ONLY mode. But you will not be able to start the SAP on the DR site, because of it needs the database in READ WRITE mode.

The feature that you are looking for is called "Snapshot Standby Database" .. but it is just available with Oracle 11g.

You can do the steps manually (with Flash Recovery Area and FLASHBACK), but it is not integrated in Oracle Data Guard 10g yet.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Is it possible to keep the hostname same for primary and standby servers, but IP addresses will be different for these two servers. In this case, if we restore the primary data in standby server, then there won't be much changes in standby server.

I don't know, whether this will work.

Please advice.

Regards,

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

Were you able to setup Oracle Data Guard with the same hostname?

Hope to hear from u..

Thanks,

IA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjith,

I need to setup DR site . you have already done dr setup for abap system. could you please explain complete procedure.

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ranjith,

I have completed the DR config for EP7.01. But the EP system is not getting started in the DR. Getting an error "J2EE DB is not able to connect......". Can please let me know the config required in the configtool of DR side.

Regards

Siby