cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting Time Bucket Profile in Interactive Demand Planning

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created two time bucket profiles (Monthly and Quarterly) and defined Monthly time bucket profile in one particular data view. Using a specific menu path just besides the header icon, any other time bucket profile can be selected. Say I select Quarterly.

1. Is it advisable to allow the business users to use the above mentioned setting or separate data views should be created for monthly and quarterly views of the planning data.

2. How do I ensure that percentage figures are not added up when switching from monthly to quarterly view, if at all the above setting is used? For instance, if export history% for Jan, Feb and Mar is say 100%, 100% and 100%, ideally the export history% for the first quarter should be 100% and not 300%.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Senthil. However my issue is still unresolved. Time Based Disaggregation factor of "N" does not prevent monthly percentages getting added up when displaying data view for quarterly time bucket. I guess that will work when you are disaggregating from a Quarterly view to a Monthly view but not vice versa.

One reason which I think why we should not encourage the users from selecting time bucket profiles in the interactive demand planning mode is that it does not apply the selected TBP to the data view if originally it had defined two TBP, one for past and the other for future. Selected TBP applies only for future time period. So eventually you end up having a dataview with two different TBP, which might not be the expectation.

Edited by: Shwint on Sep 3, 2009 9:51 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Shwint,

Another solution for you will be to store data in quantity and display in percentage.

What I mean is:

1. All the times series key figure are in quantity. If you don't want to see them, you can hide them in the data view.

2. You recalculate the percentage key figure via macro in a key figure define in your planning book only

3. You can even use the percentage key figure to update the quantity key figure (for example using the function ROW_VALUES_CHANGED() )

This way you manage the disaggregation with quantity key fiugre, which is far easier: no more issue to go from month to quarter. This solution requires a couple of macros, but work fine.

I hope my explanations are clear... but I am not sure.

Let me know if you are interested and want some clarification.

Thanks and Regards

Julien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Shwint,

I guess the question you need to answer is whether the values at the AGGREGATED level be manipulated or not. Sometimes

we use some percentages KFs for only display purpose at the aggreagted level. If taht is the case you can go ahead and use the Disaggreagtion type "D" or "A", whatever suits you.

Even if you do want to manipulate the values at the aggregated level, you can write the calculation logic to check if the

selecti0n is at aggregated level, if yes drill down..calculate...drill up. You can use a Collective macro for this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Julien. I still need to try but I guess this should definitely work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven't worked earlier in this kind of scenario but I can propose some solution logically,

++1. Is it advisable to allow the business users to use the above mentioned setting or separate data views should be created for monthly and quarterly views of the planning data.++

I would prefer to create different data view which will be more user friendly for the end users. Creation of a data view is a one time activity where as if the planner has to change the profile every time it might be time consuming.

++2. How do I ensure that percentage figures are not added up when switching from monthly to quarterly view, if at all the above setting is used? For instance, if export history% for Jan, Feb and Mar is say 100%, 100% and 100%, ideally the export history% for the first quarter should be 100% and not 300%.++

Pl try using the Disaggregation type N - No disaggregation in time for the time based disaggregation. The disaggregation type N works as below.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

The value in the planning bucket is copied to the storage buckets; for example, a planning value of $100 for the month of June is copied to each of the storage buckets June 1-2, June 5-9, June 12-16, June 19-23, June 26-30. If you display the planning value for June at run time, the system shows the average value of the storage buckets.

This option is available only for key figures that were not defined as fixable in the Admin Workbench.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Senthilrajan