cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change FQDN of BW production server

Former Member
0 Kudos

By default FQDN (Full Quanlified Domain Name) = <hostname>.<mycompanydomain>.com, when we setup BEx web report, the management team want to change the FQDN of BW PRD server as they want to show a friendly URL for end user such as: bwreport.<mycompanydomain>.com.

According to note 8307, change hostname is not offically recommended/supported. So how can we do it? Adding an alias? What kind of configuration should be performed?

Thanks

James

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Almost solved.

Cosidering WebDispatcher.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can achieve it by two steps.

1. Define a new site(in your case bwreport) in the IIS server in your company and make the pointer to use the URL of the java stack.

2. Define an alias(IIS server host) to your BI server.

When the user enters bwreport.<your domain>.com,the network will match your IIS server host, and access the BI server.

Check with your network & windows admins in your site.

Let me know if this is usefull.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can achieve it by two steps.

1. Define a new site(in your case bwreport) in the IIS server in your company and make the pointer to use the URL of the java stack.

2. Define an alias(IIS server host) to your BI server.

When the user enters bwreport.<your domain>.com,the network will match your IIS server host, and access the BI server.

Check with your network & windows admins in your site.

Let me know if this is usefull.

Personally, I do not want to get IIS or SAP Web Dispatcher involved as this will cause additional hardware/software/maintanance cost.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Check with the network team if they can register a domain with whatever name required and map the same to the server which is being accessed. This is only option i could think off as of now.

It is not recommended to change the hostname and SAP does not guarantee the working of the server after the change.

Best Regards

Raghu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Check with the network team if they can register a domain with whatever name required and map the same to the server which is being accessed. This is only option i could think off as of now.

It is not recommended to change the hostname and SAP does not guarantee the working of the server after the change.

Best Regards

Raghu.

Two questioins regarding this approach, if we register mybwreport.company.com and map it to hostname.company.com then we are required use mybwreport.company.com in BEx configuration:

1) Will system automatically changes to hostname.company.com when we access mybwreport.company.com?

2) Is domain mapping fully supported for BEx report or even ICF service? I've got "you are accessing mybwreport but the server name is hostname" experience before.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answer to your question.

1. Yes. It changes back to your original system name after accessing the mybwreport.company.com

2. You 'll not get it because it reroutes back to your hostname.company.com, which ICF knows it.

This process we are using for long time and working successfully.

Otherwise check the option of using SAP Webdispatcher.

For more details, check the guide either in SDN or service marketplace.