cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB Database Manager error: -4 database instance not found

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

System: Windows Server 2003 SE R2 64-bit, MaxDB 7.7.06.10, MaxDB DB Manager 7.6.00.25.

MaxDB DB Manager cannot add the local MaxDB instance. I receive the error "-4 database instance not found" - the instance is running and can be managed remotely (from another host) by MaxDB DB Manager or locally by DBM command line tool. The installed locally MaxDB DB Manager can manage instances on other host.

What causes the problem?

Edited by: Petar Yordanov on Aug 31, 2009 1:40 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> System: Windows Server 2003 SE R2 64-bit, MaxDB 7.7.04.28, MaxDB DB Manager 7.6.00.25.

First of all: please use at least the current version of DBM Gui (7.6.03).

Even better: use the DB Studio instead of DBM GUI.

The description of the problem sounds as if there is a problem with accessing the IPC resources.

Please check whether you can access your database when you add it with "localhost" (or the hostname of your server) instead of "<local>".

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the suggestions!

I already tried using the hostname - with and without the domain extension and any variant of capitalization of the letters - the result was the same error. Meantime the hostname is resolved correct to IP address.

I tried with "localhost" and the DBM GUI started to work (I did not upgrade to the newest version)! It is strange workaround, but the most important is that it works! I would be grateful if you could give me an idea why.

Thanks for everything!

BR,

Pit

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I tried with "localhost" and the DBM GUI started to work (I did not upgrade to the newest version)! It is strange workaround, but the most important is that it works! I would be grateful if you could give me an idea why.

>

> Thanks for everything!

Well, that's relatively easy to explain.

When '<local>' is given in the connect data dialog box, DBMGUI uses a, you guess it, local connection to the database kernel.

This local connection is facilitatet via interprocess communication.

By entering anything else (e.g. 'localhost', the IP address or the hostname) the TCP/IP connection via the Xserver is used.

So - basically I think that at the moment the user you're running DBMGUI with does not have the "create global objects" privilege (that is required for the IPC), while the Xserver is running in a context with this privilege.

best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

> the moment the user you're running DBMGUI with does not have the "create global objects" privilege (that is required for the IPC),

I do not know how to assign this user the required privilege - it is member of groups Administrators, SDB Operators, SAP_<SID>_GlobalAdmin, SAP_<SID>_LocalAdmin and SAP_LocalAdmin.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I do not know how to assign this user the required privilege - it is member of groups Administrators, SDB Operators, SAP_<SID>_GlobalAdmin, SAP_<SID>_LocalAdmin and SAP_LocalAdmin.

You may want to check some Windows docs...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740217(WS.10).aspx

A brief How-To for that (copied and stolen from note 688028 😞

-  Go to 'Administrative Tools', and then click 'Local Security Policy'.
-  Expand 'Local Policies' and then click 'User Rights Assignment'.
-  In the right pane, double-click 'Create global objects'.
-  In the Local Security Policy Setting dialog box, click 'Add'.
-  In the Select Users or Group dialog box, click the user account that you want to add, click 'Add' and then click 'OK'.

Refer to: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 821546

Ok, I think that should do it ...

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well,

It becomes more and more weird!

According these documents the user must have this privilege as it is member of Administrators group, which is by default granted with "Create global objects". I double checked both the Administrators members and "Create global objects"...

C:\>whoami /priv

PRIVILEGES INFORMATION
----------------------

Privilege Name                  Description                               State
=============================== ========================================= ========
SeLockMemoryPrivilege           Lock pages in memory                      Disabled
SeTcbPrivilege                  Act as part of the operating system       Disabled
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege   Replace a process level token             Disabled
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege         Bypass traverse checking                  Enabled
SeSecurityPrivilege             Manage auditing and security log          Disabled
SeBackupPrivilege               Back up files and directories             Disabled
SeRestorePrivilege              Restore files and directories             Disabled
SeSystemtimePrivilege           Change the system time                    Disabled
SeShutdownPrivilege             Shut down the system                      Disabled
SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege       Force shutdown from a remote system       Disabled
SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege        Take ownership of files or other objects  Disabled
SeDebugPrivilege                Debug programs                            Disabled
SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege    Modify firmware environment values        Disabled
SeSystemProfilePrivilege        Profile system performance                Disabled
SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege Profile single process                    Disabled
SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege Increase scheduling priority              Disabled
SeLoadDriverPrivilege           Load and unload device drivers            Disabled
SeCreatePagefilePrivilege       Create a pagefile                         Disabled
SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege        Adjust memory quotas for a process        Disabled
SeUndockPrivilege               Remove computer from docking station      Disabled
SeManageVolumePrivilege         Perform volume maintenance tasks          Disabled
SeImpersonatePrivilege          Impersonate a client after authentication Enabled
SeCreateGlobalPrivilege         Create global objects                     Enabled

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Petar,

have you got the UAC enabled?

If so, certain privileges are not "active" by default, but applications can request to activate them manually.

However the application need to be programmed to do that. Otherwise these privileges are just not active.

Now, you may mark the dbmsrv.exe and the dbmcli.exe as "Run as administrator" in the file properties, to have them run in a raised privilege environment.

Or you may just disable the UAC completely.

A third option would be to open a administrator shell via runas and to run the programs in there.

Anyhow - since the easy workaround is to use the TCP connection, you may also just stick with that.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

As the host running the DB server, DB instance and DBM GUI is Server 2003 R2 64-bit, it has no UAC.

Of course, I set the DBM GUI according the workaround and I will use it

I was just curious what is the reason for this malfunction. It is not worthy to waist anymore you time, when I already have a working solution!

Thanks again!

BR,

Pit

Answers (0)