cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHARM during implementation phase possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

I would like to know the constraints of implementing CHARM during the implementation phase of the project.

I am aware that, charm functionality is best suitable for post go live change tracking tool and it is not recommended during the implementation phase. But I would like to know the reasons behind not recommending CHARM during implementation phase.

Please provide your valuable inputs.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kriti and Jagan for your valuable inputs.

Jagan,

So, by making Solution Manager as the domain controller and keeping some other domain cotroller as the back up, we can control the entire transport operations using Solution Manager.I suppose,as a prerequisite, we need to link up the domain controller of solution manager and other domain controllers in the landscape . Please correct me if i am wrong.

Also, could please list out any specific advantage of using Solution manager for controlling the transprots. Is it only because,

since Solution Manager is controlling or supporting all other factors related to an implementation projects , we can bring transport control also under it or is there any specific advantage for this purpose. Just curious about this feature.

Thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Thats Right.

You should have the Domain link, for you are having two different domains together and i think you have to have Trans Directory Shared.

These can be the advantages:

1) Single place or cockpit to control the transports across the landscape /systems.

2) Integration with ChaRM becomes Easier.

This is what i can think of.

Thanks,

Jagan

Edited by: jagadheeshan govindasamy on Sep 16, 2009 7:45 AM

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Jagan

That was really helpfull. So i suppose only additioal work required here is to link up the domains and share trans directory..

All other operations remain same as we do in normal transports.

Points Awarded.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Solmaniac / Satish

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

I understand that, if charm is implemented during the implemenation phase, then all the transport request should follow the approval procedure associated with charm.

Is it possible by anyway, that we can avoid implementing Charm and still manage all the transport requests using Solution manager. Please provide some inputs on controlling TMS using Solution Manager.

Thank You.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you dont want to use the workflow/approvals associated with the chaRM correction document for your implementation; you can just use the maintenance cycles to control movement.

You just need to use option 'Register transport requests in tasklist'. This will link all the transports to the tasklist but still prevent individual approvals and control which correction documents provide.

Thanks & Regards,

Kriti Bhalla

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

you can reconfigure the TMS with Solman as the Domain controller, if you are looking for the Transport Control using solman.

You have to have the Existing Domain_controller as Back up.

This will later help you with Implementing ChaRM(when needed).

Hope this Helps.

Thanks,

Jagan

Former Member
0 Kudos

#1 reason not to adopt ChaRM for implementation is that:

- Each transport request must be created before the developer / configurer begins their work

- each transport request must be approved as part of a change request before it can be created

Obviously this is not practical during implementation phases.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The following may not be the detailed reasons behind not recommending CHARM during implementation phase.

Implementation Project u2013 A project to implement SAP solution as a part of regular implementation or a roll out. This is considered for single-site implementations. Predefined scenarios can be selected from template projects.

Change Request Management (ChaRM) is an SAP tool to manage all those activities performed between the design of a change and the final promotion to a productive system

ChaRM can:

o Improve efficiency and transparency of change management processes

o Minimize business disruptions

o Store documentation of implemented changes

o Track and monitor changes

o Improve audit process

o Reduce risk of correction and project failures

ChaRM benefits are:

o Allow the Organization to control and manage changes in the SAP system effectively

o Guarantee that any change to the SAP system follows the standard process flow and procedures with mandatory controls and documented steps

o Effectively adheres to requirements for SOX compliance

Please also go through [this|http://www.sap.com/community/webcast/2009_06_worldtour_fr/2009_06_Worldtour_SOL1_SAP_fr.pdf] document.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Satish