cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Web Dynpro Service Wizard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using the sneak preview version of web dynpro ABAP and while creating service calls per the tutorials, I came across the disclaimer in the Service Call Wizard that "the function module you want to use must exist in the system".

Will we be able to create service calls in the GA version for functions that exist ONLY in remote systems?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I checked a GA system and I'm afraid that the wizard still states that limitation.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've checked how difficult is to change the wizard so it can get the function module interface from other system and it is quite simple.

As we are just testing the Abap Webdynpro, I've changed the SAP standard so it is possible to get the function structure from other systems from the wizard.

The change were made on the program SAPLWDY_WB_MODEL_WIZARD as follows:

Include: LWDY_WB_MODEL_WIZARDI01

CALL FUNCTION 'RPY_EXISTENCE_CHECK_FUNC' destination WDY_WB_WZ_MODEL-RFCDEST

Include: LWDY_WB_MODEL_WIZARDF04

CALL FUNCTION 'FUNCTION_IMPORT_INTERFACE' destination WDY_WB_WZ_MODEL-RFCDEST

By doing this it is possible to do what we want. At least is possible to test how it will work when they give us this functionality.

Regards,

Flavio.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

I also noticed that the ALV lacks the total/subtotal functionality in the sneak preview version. Is this functionality available in the GA version?

Chad

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using SAP NetWeaver 2004s 7.00 version of web dynpro ABAP and while

creating service calls with Wizard, this message is show:

"Choose a function module as service. You can use the input help for

this. If you choose a remote capable function module, you can

optionally specify an RFC destination that is to be used when calling

the function module. If you do not specify a destination, the function

module will be called locally.

Note: The function module must exist in the current system! At present,

the wizard does not support to call a remote capable function module

that does not exist in then current system.".

I has created a RFC Destination from SM59 and the "Connection Test" is

succefull, but I can´t work with RFC functions of Remote Destination.

Is posible to call a RFC function of Remote Destination? If the wizard does not support to call a RFC, how a can do it?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The answer is right there in the note that you copied in:

<b>The function module must exist in the current system</b>

You can access function modules in remote systems, but the same function module name (and interface) must exist in the local system. In other words, there is no remote functionality to go over to the other system and read the function interface. You don't necessarily have to recreate the entire function module on the local system. You could just create your own function module with the same interface (it doesn't even have to be named the same). If the name doesn't match - just go into the generated code after generation and change the name in the function call. The main point of the wizard is to generate the matching context nodes and attributes for you (along with the mapping logic from context nodes to function module call). However you can build all this by hand as well if you want to call a remote function module without having to recreate the interface locally.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas/Srini,

Thank you both for your replies.

I figured as much that I could manually create the context and mappings, but what a cumbersome/tedious task that would be for either a large number of BAPIs or even a small number of BAPIs with many input/output parameters.

I don't understand the "technical limitation" given the fact that there are standard RFC's that gather interface information, and as long as you have the RFC destination defined, why could they not query the remote system and fold that into the wizard?

In the sneak preview version, the ABAP install has only a very limited set of functional areas and thus most of the standard BAPIs are missing(ie: Fixed Assets, WBS elements, etc.). Is that the case in the GA version as well?

srinivasa_raghavachar
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chad,

Yes, it must must exists in the same system. I checked with Webdynpro framework guys and they can not implement it for service wizard due to some technical limitations.

Service wizard only provides automatic mapping. You could use RFC's in remote systems by creating context, then calling RFC using logical destination(SM59) and mapping the input and output to the context.

Regards,

Srini.