cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not all Syslog files visible in MMC or SM21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've performed a Standard System install of NetWeaver PI 7.1 on Windows 2003 x64 with MaxDB, under the SDN Subscriptions program. The install went well first time. I'm trying now to understand the behavior for viewing System Logs, either via the MMC or via transaction SM21.

The Standard install creates three instances: Database, DVEBMGS (curious to know what that stands for, by the way), and SCS. Each of the instances DVEBMGS and SCS have their own profiles. In the MMC, if you right-click -> All Tasks -> View Instance Parameter you will see that they have their own rslg/local/file parameter, and you can go see these separate log files in the operating system. Simple enough.

But if I go to Syslog in the MMC for each of these instances, it will only show me ONE of these log files (DVEBMGS usually, although I have been able to experiment with profile settings to get it to show SCS instead). In the MC HTML version, it shows instead the list of Log Files, where you can confirm that only one of the instances shows a 'SAP Syslog' format entry.

Moreover, the transaction SM21 will only let me see the DVEBMGS system log, and transaction RSPFPAR only lists DVEBMGS settings. (Yes - I've imported both DVEBMGS and SCS profiles using RZ10.)

So what about the SCS instance log? How do I see that?

(As I said above, I was able to get MMC to show me SCS instead of DVEBMGS, but not both at the same time.)

I have read SAP Note 142100 where point number 22 seems to refer to this issue, although the description of the workaround seems to miss the point. I think it's not so much a problem of profile settings, but the fact that MMC and SM21 and RSPFPAR only recognize the existence of ONE system log, whereas in fact there are TWO.

I think if there's a system log file available, I should be able to read it.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I think it works as designed.

You can read both files just through SAP Management Console and on OS level. The ABAP engine (SM21) just shows and reads the Syslog of the ABAP engine residing in DVEBMGS<nn>.

To see all parameter settings you have to use abap transaction RZ10 or view it native on OS level.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - and many thanks for your help.

Agreed that SM21 only shows the Syslog for the DVEBMGS instance. Also, I can use RZ10 to edit all profile parameter settings. Plus, I can see the profile files and Syslog files in the OS file system.

The part I'm missing is that I cannot read both the DVEBMGS and SCS instances Syslog files through SAP Management Console. I can configure it (via profile settings) to show me one or the other, but it will not make both Syslog files available at the same time. It seems as though it will recognize the existence of only ONE rslg/local/file setting in a Standard installation (even though there are actually two instances - DVEBMGS and SCS).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Maybe there is another expert knowing some kind of a trick. But as far as I know this just works as designed. Of course you can watch both Syslog files using SAP Management Console, but only one by one and not both at the same time by clicking on Log Files and then double-clickiing on SYSLOG file.

Sorry to have no better answer.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for confirming the behavior. Yes - that's what I would expect to be able to do. But I can only ever find one Syslog file through SAP MC.

There may be some problem in the version I'm using. I'll see whether the available patches clear it up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I don't know how or why, but today the SAP MC has decided to show me both the DVEBMGS and SCS system logs.

Hurrah!