cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC vs. Webservices for communication of RF devices with SAP Backend system

Former Member
0 Kudos

WHich is the more preferable way to communicate between SAP and an RF enabled Mobile device to be used for warhouse operations. If somebody has done such an anlysis already between RFC based communication and Webservices, it could be useful to share. I see one article in SAP Professional Journal July 2006 issue, but donot have access for the moment to it as not a registered user.

If others can share and throw some light on some analysis done, it would be useful.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sanjay,

I did this analysis based on custom client or MI7.1; perhaps I am wrong but I would recommend using SOAP.

Although people say than SOAP is 30% more verbose than standard RFC calls and it could impact on performances (especially with GPRS connections), the custom protocole used to communicate with SAP MI7.1 is XML-encoded. According to this, the SOAP envelope will contain the same XML-encoded content. Difference between SOAP and RFC will mostly be the heading information. Mapping will be mandatory to parse the data content whatever you do use RFC or SOAP.

Consequently, I would more certainly recommend to:

1) take care of the datamodel to avoid complex mapping

2) being able to manage the connection with a fine tuning : package size, b-zipped HTTP ...

Again, that is just my first return of experience,

Kind Regards,

Ludovic

VikasLamba
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

From my experience the choice b/w choosing a web service and RFC call should majorly be decided by the capabilities of the device. For consuming web services you would mostly require more bandwidht and a hevier component will run on the device. If your device is capable then no harm in using web services. But if the device has limited memory and network resources it would be feasible to write a light weight RFC component that makes a direct call to SAP box and receives the data.

The choice of RFC vs. WS will be a higher impcat from development perspective rather deployment. WS are easier to consume whereas for RFC you need connectors and thus platform on which you run the app is important.

Vikas

VikasLamba
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

From my experience the choice b/w choosing a web service and RFC call should majorly be decided by the capabilities of the device. For consuming web services you would mostly require more bandwidht and a hevier component will run on the device. If your device is capable then no harm in using web services. But if the device has limited memory and network resources it would be feasible to write a light weight RFC component that makes a direct call to SAP box and receives the data.

The choice of RFC vs. WS will be a higher impcat from development perspective rather deployment. WS are easier to consume whereas for RFC you need connectors and thus platform on which you run the app is important.

Vikas