cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Version Change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm New to DMS & testing it on desktop server.I created a word document with custom document type in dc10.Now my requirement is that when i try to modify the document,the document should be checked in & at the same time the document should ask for "save as".

When saved,document version needs to be incremented.

I ticked version assignment flag & also assigned version increment no.Can Some one Explain how the status network goes for it with an example,as i'm a bit confused with the status network.

Appreciate any help regarding this.

Regards,

Ravi S.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

steps involved:

1. Created a doc and check in ...........

2. now if u want to make changes, go to cv02n, click the doc and click the icon make changes.............the document opens , if its a excel , make changes .......to the doc and save the document (original file) and close it ...............now the DIR gets changed............

3. open the DIR, now the original document will be shows as check out, as u made changes.....now check in again ......and the DIR is saved

this procees is for changing a document (minor changes for the same DIR)

version:

1. T-code cv01n

2. enter the doc typa and select the document.

3. ENETR

4. Now the system will ask, whether u want to make a new version. click yes

5. Now automatically bas pewr the config, a new version will be created .....with the same old file...remove the old file and add the new file and check in the original DIR

This process is for a DIR, who new version is released.

Regards

SURYA

Edited by: suryapampana on Aug 27, 2009 1:26 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Thanks for the quick reply.Very Helpful.

But i want the changes to be reflected thru easydms.

When i select edit file in the context menu & made some changes,then it should ask for "save as" & when saved,a new version should be created without changing the previous one.

What i want to know is how to define flow of previous statuses in status network for all these steps while changing document status from create to modify.

Thanks & regards,

Ravi S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. i dont know, why u want system to ask for creating a new version?

2. if even a minor changes are made will be made a new version and i thing 99 is not sufficient for you to control the version

3. a version is created, when major (comparitively) are made..........

4. its upto u and u should be able to judge when to make a new version, not that system should judge...............

this is wht i feel, and i think u can also convince ur client in the same way

Reagrds

SURYA

Former Member
0 Kudos

As the previous post suggests, creating a document version at each change may not be the best way to go. You can create content versions (version of the original file, not DIR version) by select the check box 'content versions' in the status and workstation application. This will create a content version each time the original file is checked-in. If you want to see this, you will need to go to cv02n > originals tab, but you can still make multiple changes through easydms and have the system create content versions at each check-in.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further explanation....

Former Member
0 Kudos

As the previous post suggests, creating a document version at each change may not be the best way to go. You can create content versions (version of the original file, not DIR version) by select the check box 'content versions' in the status and workstation application. This will create a content version each time the original file is checked-in. If you want to see this, you will need to go to cv02n > originals tab, but you can still make multiple changes through easydms and have the system create content versions at each check-in.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further explanation....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lashan Wanigatunga,

This definitely helps.Thanks a lot.

Answers (0)