cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange ODS activation problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I know that this topic has been discused many times but still i have a problem.

When i try to activate an ODS i get the message: "Characteristic value '1995 ' of characteristic ZREF_KEY3 is not ALPHA-converted"

"Error when assigning SID (details in long text)".

I dont understand what wrong with the value '1995 ' .

The infoObject ZREF_KEY3 is char 20 with checkbox in the lowercase letters and Covers.Rout. ALPHA

Please Advice,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udayabhanupattabhiram_cha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David:

I don't think the problem is with Case.

Is the data coming from R/3?

What you see in Error is not what comes from source (occasionally).

There may be a blank space as the first character or there may be illegal characters in source.

Go to transaction RSKC.

Type "ALL_CAPITAL"

Try the load now.

Also, avoid ALPHA conversion in InfoObjects unless needed.

Let me know what happened and we will go from there.

Ram Chamarthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do what Prakash has told.

But to activate the failed request,reload the ODS after changing the problem record in the PSA.

Right justify the text and remove any leading zeroes of spaces.It should be just '1995'.

then after reload,try activating.Should activate OK.

cheers,

Vishvesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Scroll to the right most in your transfer rules to see a column for "Conversion". Check the box for the corresponding characteristic. This should solve the issue.

note: Checking the box ensures that alpha conversion routine is used for that characteristic.

Thanks,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for so many wonderful replies. I was ill for couple of days and just now I’m back to the office.

I was sure that when I use ALPHA conversion routine it changes the input into acceptable input by the system but from your replies I understand that I was wrong. But, before I used ZREF_KEY3 infoObject I tried to use 0REF_KEY3 which don’t have a conversion routine and the lowercase letters checkbox is not mark and still the ODS activation was failed although all the letters where put in transaction RSKC.

for example i got the message "Value 'KI 05\08\04 15:11 ' (hex. '4B492030355C30385C30342031353A3131 ') of characteristic 0REF_KEY3 contains invalid"

What is wrong with the input?

I don’t care about the format of the data in ref_key3. It might also contain the letter # .

Please Advice.

David

Message was edited by: David Cohn

Message was edited by: David Cohn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the update rule for that field include the function module CONVERSION_EXIT_ALPHA_INPUT. Pass your field value as export parameter and import parameter.

Hope this documentation will make you understand.

Conversion exit ALPHA, external->internal

ALPHA conversion is used especially with account numbers. During conversion from the external to the internal format, the system checks to see if input in the INPUT field is purely numeric, that is, if this input consists only of numbers, possibly with spaces before and after them. If this is the case, then the number string is inserted right- justified in the display field OUTPUT and all spaces to the left of the value are filled with zeroes ('0'). If the input is not purely numeric, it is inserted in the display field from left to right and all extra spaces are filled with blanks.

Example:

(Input field and output field are both eight characters in length)

1. '1234 ' --> '00001234'

2. 'ABCD ' --> 'ABCD '

3. ' 1234 ' --> '00001234'

Conversion from the internal to the external format (function module CONVERSION_EXIT_ALPHA_OUTPUT) is undertaken in exactly the opposite manner.

Regards,

Prema.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David ,

In the transfer rules for characteristic ZREF_KEY3 select the check box at the end for Conversion Routine so that it runs while data is being loaded into the ODS .

Regards,

Prakash B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The problem is with lowercase letters - they are not permitted in ODS.

In transfer rules of the Infosource for your char you can use either:

- Formula -> TOUPPER(YourChar) or

- Routine -> TRANSLATE YourChar TO UPPER CASE.

For more info look here:

And also OSS Notes: 173241 and 194328

-Shreya