cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SGEN execution required after a kernel upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have done a system kernel upgrade from 700 to 701 version after which all the transactions start compiling as i run them.

I would like to know if SGEN is to be run after a kernel upgrade and if so what option to select as SGEN typically takes long time.

If i start SGEN, and if it takes long can i stop it in between with the intention of not continuing it? would there be a problem?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Sandeep.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,can you please let me know y did you change the kernel version .

if you are going for EHP upgrade then its fine other wise please chnage the kernel back to 700 version and increase the patch level of 700 to higher.

You dont need to run SGEN after kernel upgrade.SGEN is used for running all the program thet come in to you system first time or are changed when you apply Patches in your system.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are going EHP1 so we upgraded the kernel to 701 level. After that , all transactions are getting compiled so we started SGEN.

I was also of the impression that SGEN need not run after kernel. however, had no other option as transaction compiling was taking long time.

Please check this link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/b1/52583c65399965e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

In prerequisites its written :

• Applying kernel patches may lead to the invalidation of all loads.

Kindly suggest.

I have stopped the SGEN now.

Due to some constraints, we have to delay the patch upgrade to EHP1. I would like to know whether i can put the old kernel 700 back? and would the SGEN run on kernel 701 would have any problem on that. ?

Is downgrade of kernel possible?

Regards,

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Once you have done kernel upgrade from 700 to 701 . It is not recommeded to downgrade. If you do down grade to old version, you might face problems.

continue sgen on new kernel.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidyadhar K

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Once you have done kernel upgrade from 700 to 701 . It is not recommeded to downgrade. If you do down grade to old version, you might face problems.

I don't agree with that, If your components have not been upgraded to EHP1 yet you can use the old kernel without any issues, if they have been upgraded you can't use kernel 700

Cancelling SGEN will not lead to any problems.. simply generation is not fully done and some programs might still compile.

Regards

Juan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no need to run sgen after kernel upgrade.

The sgen is required to run after any support pack upgrade or new installation of system

Thanks & Regards,

Vidyadhar K

Former Member
0 Kudos

SGEN is not required after the kernel upgrade as it won't related to abap load, if you feel that system is slow due long duration of compilation you can go ahead. How ever make sure that there is enough space available in the database. The space required can be several hundred MB. Generation over all components requires around 2 GB of free space. Please check the below links to understand info in a betterway.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/d1/6e583cf7388362e10000000a114084/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/b1/52583c65399965e10000000a114084/content.htm

Thank you,

Shyam